Format: Paperback|Change

Bill Granger reminds me of Nigel Slater in many ways, the same relaxed, informal attitude to cooking. I was not surprised to find that many of the books/authors listed in Bill's Library of cookery books which have inspired him also appear in Nigel Slater's bibliographies - Marcella Hazan, Elizabeth David, Claudia Roden, Alice Waters, Patricia Wells.

The book is divided into meals rather than following a 'starters, mains, desserts' format. It starts off with breakfast, although Bill's version of breakfast is much more elaborate than mine, except on special occasions. Indeed some of the recipes I would use as light desserts or lunches rather than for breakfast. Recipes include white peaches in rose-water syrup, crepes with ricotta filling & bitter orange sauce, potato cakes with smoked salmon & mustard dressing, gorgeous choc banana bread, French toast with fresh berry sauce (simple to make but a bit special and a great way to use up a berry glut in the summer).

Moving on to lunch, you will find poached chicken & asparagus salad; rare tuna salad with fennel & lemon dressing; prawn & avocado salad; crispy potato cakes with Greek salad; honey roast duck breast with orange salad; zucchini fritters with yoghourt sauce and crispy-skinned salmon with fresh noodle salad & soy dressing.

For afternoon tea there is apple & blueberry shortcake, mandarin & almond cake, plum & vanilla cake, coconut blackberry slice, peach & vanilla cake with custard, white chocolate cheesecake served with a passion fruit pulp, buttermilk cake with raspberry syrup and very nice lime slice that is simple to make and a bit different.

Finally, the chapter covering dinners includes recipes such as spicy tomato & fennel soup; corn fritters with sweet chilli sauce; individual lasagne with ricotta, zucchini & tomato; garlic prawns; saffron rice with prawns (in essence a simplified paella); grilled lamb with warm chickpea salad; lemon & parsley crusted fish with garlic mash; grilled chicken with spicy coconut sauce; veal cutlets with tomato, capers & polenta; lemon chicken with warm lentil salad; baked risotto with zucchini, tomato & parmesan; cannelloni with fresh tomato sauce; parmesan-crusted fish with braised potatoes & peas; meringue with fresh cream & blueberries; lemon mousse; champagne jelly with white peach salad (a very elegant summer dessert), and rustic cherry tart.

This is uncomplicated food with lovely fresh flavours, involving quick and simple preparation. Occasionally ingredients betray the author's Australian origins e.g. the parmesan-crusted fish recipe specifies blue-eye which won't be available in the UK but another firm white fish can be substituted. It is also fair to say that this sort of food is better suited to a British summer than a cold winter.
on 8 December 2005
I'm an idiot in kitchen, and yet even I can make every recipe in this book taste delicious. Not only that, but most take no time at all, and can be accomplished (even by me) without leaving the kitchen looking like a bomb site. Recommended to absolutely everyone.
on 27 November 2002
Bill's new book continues with the fresh, unfussy style of his last. The food is simple, uses everyday ingredients and the recipes work (which is more than you can say for some cookery books!). There is nothing much in the book which comes as a great surprise but if you love innovative 'cafe' style food, then this book is a must buy.
on 12 June 2006
Every recipe I have tried has been absolutely delicious. I have all his recipe books and am never disappointed with the results. The best thing is they are all so quick and easy and the taste is never compromised - so I have found they are perfect for entertaining as you do not spend the whole night slaving in the kitchen...
on 19 July 2007
I've had this book for a few years now, and still love it as much as when I first bought it. The recipes are varied and easy to follow, the ingredients are easy to obtain and the techniques are not overtly fussy. They really are easy to follow, as I can be quite lazy with technique and panic if things are too complex, but this is great. The results are fabulous, fresh and exciting. After a few goes you start to remember the recipes; the banana bread, spicy meatballs...(my brother is really fussy and loves the meatballs). The book is split up into simple sections (breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, etc ) with lots of beautiful close ups of each dish. It's my favourite Bill's as it is simple yet stunning. Buy this book...you won't regret it! It'll show how to cook thrilling dishes quickly. A worth while investment.
on 5 May 2003
Bill is back again with another wonderful selection of easy to cook yet healthy and exciting meals. He proves that easy and healthy is not necessarily boring, and has marvellous recipes such as honey glazed soy chicken with sweet chilli. Thank good for the demise of nouvelle cuisine. Bill is a breath of fresh air compaired to the other butter and cream induced and complex super chefs of today.
on 4 February 2010
This is the second book that I have purchased by Bill Granger and I must say, it is quiet similar to the book 'Bills Sydney Food'. In this respect I was quiet disappointed as I was expecting a range of new, exciting recipes but instead found myself thinking: 'Wasn't this in the last book?'. So indeed, I got up and had a flick through 'Bills Sydney Food' and was surprised to find recipes that were much the same as in 'Bills Food' with a slight tweak.

This is not to say the recipes aren't good. In my opinion they are no fuss, simple, fresh recipes. However, I think they suit more the Australian climate and lifestyle rather than the European. A lot of the dishes include fresh seafood and Asian ingredients which might be hard to find in Europe. Yet, it makes a great summer cook book.

I do recommend this book if you enjoy light, Asian infused recipes. There are also some nice breakfast ideas and a few baking recipes. I am asking myself whether or not I should continue buying anymore of his books as I am afraid that I will just end up with another round of familiar looking recipes.
on 20 May 2014
Love pretty much ALL the recipes in this book. Great cakes and bites as well as healthy and light delicious meals. I originally bought this book because my sister made the chocolate brownies and I fell in love with them - since then I've not stopped cooking and baking from this book!
Great alrounder with plenty of variety for all!
on 31 October 2011
This book was as good as my wife had hoped and is a useful addition to her cookery collection. She found in interesting present.
on 1 August 2015
excellent book. saw it at a friends house and loved at least 90% of the healthy wholesome recipes so had to source it.