on 16 September 2010
Anthony Bourdain's gushing introduction was a surprise. Of all the people to call an English restaurant his favourite in the world!

If you're looking for a Christmas present for the cook who has every Nigella and Jamie etc, this little gem will make him or her sit up.
on 30 March 2016
Very good book, haven't tried a few of the more adventurous recipes yet, but the bulk of it is just good, simple, hearty, everyday cooking. If anything I'd say some of the recipes are a little too basic/ stripped down, but these are always a great starting point for experimentation and give you a firm understanding of this kind of cooking. Very pleased
The author's recent Global Lifetime Culinary Achievement award is either a huge practical joke, or recognition of a true original in the now overcrowded waters of British Cuisine - or possibly both. This collection of recipes, mostly for what is politely called offal, together with "traditional" (i.e. gut-bustingly heavy) accompaniments, puddings and what not is actually a treasure trove for those cuts of meat (I'm thinking cheek, tongue, heart ... if you get my drift) that actually repay slow cooking, herby and spicy seasoning, and some fortitude in the eating. I'm liking the book anew, as it has some good recipes for smoking meat, too. Excellent, refreshing oddity, and recommended as such.
on 29 January 2009
English review

I had give this book for Christmas to my son, this book is very popular by the chef's here in the Netherlands.It gives you a good insight of the different parts of the animal. He was very pleased when he received it, this book may not be missing in his collection.

Dutch review

Dit boek heb ik met kerst aan mijn zoon gegeven, het boek is erg populair bij de chef koks in Nederland. Het geeft een goed inzicht in de opbouw van het dier. Hij was erg blij toen hij het kreeg, het boek mocht niet ontbreken in zijn collectie
on 13 December 2013
Fergus Henderson did meet my expectations but unfortunately the publisher sold out to (A) merican tv starwantab-chef a.bourdain to get him to write the introduction? Which added nothing.
He doesn't need any help in the kitchen.
on 9 December 2009
Sneaked a peak whilst wrapping it for a Christmas present last year and the contents and recipes looked good. The recipient is an accomplished food writer in their own right and as he's already rearing his second pair of piglets I can only conclude he liked it too.
on 25 August 2014
Interesting book but recipes too complicated. I was hoping for more basic dishes.
VINE VOICEon 24 April 2008
I first heard about Fergus Henderson via the writing and TV shows of Anthony Bourdain, whose introduction to this edition is very much worth reading too. I've always been a fan of the great British cuisine that has sometimes looked to be on the edge of extinction, so this book was definitely one for me.

We British are often all too ready to dismiss our efforts in many walks of life, not least food. The variety, quality and ability to delight the tastebuds of this nation's many and various homegrown dishes should, I hope, counteract those who take the lazy option in pointing to other countries and making uninformed and facile comparisons. Make an effort, care just a bit, and our food is great! We can and should hold our heads up among the cuisines of the world.

The book is whimsical at times, but always fascinating and informative. I've cooked a few of the more conventional dishes already, with great success, and I am now wishing there was a decent butcher working anywhere near me!
on 15 December 2011
This cookbook brought back memories for my husband who was raised in the UK and spent much of his adult life there as well. Recipes are more like conversations with the chef. I'm enjoying this little book very much.
on 12 February 2011
It's a book.
It's by Fergus Henderson.
It has recipes in it.

If you know and love Fergus, you will buy this book.
If you don't then you most likely won't.

Nose-to-tail eating has it all from the antithesis to Jamie et al.