Customer reviews

Walk Two Moons
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 3 January 2002
What can I say? I don't think I have ever been so taken with a book as I was with this one. I first read it at the age of eleven and have re-read it through out my teens. I love it so much. It is the most beautiful story which has a wonderful character and life in it. I was so inspired by this tale of one girl's journey to find her mother, that I have recommended it to everyone I know, read all Sharon Creech's books and even sent the author herself a letter in admiration!! It is a true work of genius. I have yet to find another book which is written with such warmness and love as this one and one which can make you experience such emotion(except, ofcourse, for her other books!).
You haven't lived until you've read this book!
on 3 July 2005
I am in year 8 and my english teacher was the one who introduced this book to me.We were given the task of reading a book whilst she was away on holiday .My group reluctently chose walk two moons as it was the last book left on the desk but when we started reading it we were hooked.
This book had three stories in it the story of phoebe and her family.Salamanca and her family and the story of gram and gramps.These stories are all hiding parts of each other and when the parts are revealed a whole new side of the story is opened up to the reader.
By the end of the book I was crying because it was so sad.
Read this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 2 May 2004
This was the first book I read by Sharon Creech and it will always remain the closest to my heart! The heartwarming tale of a young girl on her way to find her lost mother and the world that revolves around her, will make you cry, sometimes with happiness. I recommend this book to everyone, young and old, who are trying to discover their true selves.
on 23 August 2016
Like the way in which this book is written very much, also the characters. Just have somehow a bit a conflict with the content. Isn't it, that the mother, when leaving the daughter without a Good bye, putting all the responsibility on the shoulders of the daughter, and isn't she way too young for needing to deal with that in this way? I mean, yes, life is not always, as it should be, out of a picture book, but at least, somehow, there should be a connotation about that, for my feeling. But despite of this, it is a book, that, when you read it, it feels somehow so familiar and even comfortable, and despite all, it never leaves out the hope, that the girl will find her way - the picture with the singing tree is beautiful.
on 23 July 2001
Walk Two Moons is, in my opinion, Sharon Creech's best book. It's moving and sad, yet uplifting and funny, all at once. It's told from the point of view of Salamanca Tree Hiddle, a thirteen year old girl who's trying to deal with a huge upheaval in her life - a new home and the sudden disappearance of her mother from her life. I particularly like the way Sal's friend Phoebe goes through a crisis of a similar kind and Sal, as an outside observer, is able to see how Phoebe's reactions parallel her own. I cared so much about the characters and they were all so believable I felt like I knew them myself. Phoebe was great and added a lot of humour to the story (I thought it was particularly funny when she kept talking about cholesterol and complained so much that Sal felt like throwing her out of the window). Walk Two Moons is a book that really gives you something to think about and I strongly suggest you buy it.
on 27 December 2001
"Walk Two Moons" is the first and only book I have read, so far, by Sharon Creech. It was the cover & description that caught my eye at first, but when I started reading it, I knew this wasn't just a book with a nice cover!
The story is funny throughout, but also very touching and sad, it is one of the few books that I have ever cried at.
If you like a story with laughter, a little romance, some sadness & a brilliant twist, this is the book for you.
on 11 February 2012
Are you searching for a book to add to your reading list? I might have an answer. Walk Two Moons is a really fascinating book, and I couldn't stop reading it. The theme of the story is how much a separation from the people we love can hurt our feelings. The story talks about a girl named Salamanca that lives in Bybanks, Kentucky. Her mum moved to another state, Idaho, and now she lives with her father. She starts a trip with her grandparents from Kentucky to Ohio to meet her mother in time for her birthday. During the trip she is telling her grandparents about her new friend Phoebe and she is telling about the problems that Phoebe had with her family and a strange man that leaves them messages and they think he is a lunatic. She also talks about how she helped her friend and through that she realizes that she is going over similar sad things although she is hiding her sadness. Will she overcome her sadness and will she help her friend overcome her fears too? Read the book, if you want to find out. I would give this book 5/5 for interest due to its creative settings, its likeable and realistic characters, the author's beautiful words and phrases and its helpful themes.

This story takes place mostly in her grandparent's car and at her home in Bybanks but what really impressed me of the author's choices was that she made the main character tell the story while she was in her grandparent's car and through her thinking she moved us to a different setting and I didn't feel like the story took place in the car any more. For example in the book Salamanca, as her grandparents are driving, she is telling them the story that happened when she was living with her father: "Because I first saw Phoebe on the day my father and I moved to Euclid, I began my story of Phoebe with the visit to the red-headed Margaret Cadaver's where I also met Mr. Partidge, her elderly mother. Margaret nearly fell over herself being nice to me. "What lovely hair," she said, and "Aren't you sweet!" I was not sweet that day...." I think this book should get acclaims for really making you feel like you are in the story. For example at some point Sharon Creech, describes Ms. Cadaver's room, that it had swords on the walls and carpets from bear's fur. The description is really precise and I could picture the room like I was in the story and I could see it with my own eyes.

The author created two almost opposite main characters and that creates fun dialogue and amusing situations. Sal is brave and observant while Phoebe is afraid of everything and is assumptious. When they came to Ms. Cadaver's house many things happened between those characters that really proved their personality. Sal was really brave because she sneaked into Ms. Cadaver's room first while Phoebe was too scared to come in. On one hand Sal is observant because when she walked into Ms. Cadaver's house she was explaining with really much detail what she was seeing, for example she was thinking: "The walls were lined with shelves crammed with old musty books. The room looked like some sort of museum filled with strange objects. On the floor were three rugs with dark, swirly patterns of wild beasts in forests. Two chairs were covered in similar, ghastly designs. A sofa was draped in a bear skin......". On the other hand, Phoebe is assuptious. She judges people by how they look and she doesn't get to know them better. For example, she thought that Ms. Cadaver was a murderer because she saw her planting something on her garden and she just assumed that. Those characters are so unlikable but what ties those them together is their desperation of seeing their mother again. Sal thought the same thing: If they are so alike how can they be friends. She thought: "I did like Phoebe. In spite of all her wild tales and her cholesterol-madness and her annoying comments, there was something about Phoebe that was like a magnet. I was drawn to her. I was pretty sure that underneath all that odd behavior was someone who was frightened. And, in a strange way, she was like another version of me- she acted out the way I sometimes felt."

Also the author, for making every chapter even more interesting, she writes at the end a phrase that attracts your interest and you want to continue reading as it says at the end of chapter one: "The reason that Phoebe's story reminds me of that plaster wall and the hidden fireplace is that beneath Phoebe's story was another one. It was about me and my own mother." When I read this phrase I thought "what story about her and her own mother? What does the story have to do with that?" It created many questions in my mind and I wanted to answer them.

The theme of the book is trying to pass to the readers is that bad things happen to life but you still have to live your life happily and overcome your fears and sadness. The author passed this message to me by showing me a good example, Salamanca. Although she was separated from her mother she was hiding her sadness and that is what makes that character special. Also the book had some interesting letters that were sent to Phoebe's family that also had meanings that would be helpful for someone's life. For example some of them were: "Don't judge a man until you've walked two moons in his moccasin." That is something that the book contains a lot inside. The book makes you feel like you are actually in the character and you understand how he feels. Some other were: "In the course of a lifetime, what does it matter?", "You can't keep the birds of sadness from flying over your head, but you can keep them from nestling in your hair." etc.

This book will seem very interesting to people that are older than nine years old because this story is kind of sad and younger kids may not like it. This book is full of creative settings, likable and realistic characters, and the author's beautiful words and phrases. This is a really fascinating book that teaches you many things about life and I think that whoever reads it will think the same.
on 12 June 2006
I first read this book when I was perhaps 11 years old and it is still my favourite book of all time. Salamanca Sugar Maple Tree Hiddle - that wonderful name - holds the hippy, bohemian style feel to this novel. Truely a heart warmer and a book to be treasured.
on 14 October 2004
I first read this book at the age of 8, I found it amazing to read! Perfect for younger children in primary school or for older teenagers as light reading =]
The name Salamanca Tree Hiddle, brings back memories :)
on 25 May 2004
I bought this book when I was about seven from a school book fair - now I am fourteen and it is still one of my favourite books in the world. The characters and all of their little idiosyncrasies (like the blind lady, Mrs Partridge, Phoebe's obsession with psychos, and Mary Lou Finney's exclamations of "Alpha and Omega") make this book better than the average stuff you can find for teens nowdays. Salamanca Tree Hiddle is travelling with her grandparents and is desperate to get to Idaho in time for mother's birthday, dipping into little adventures along the way and telling us the story of her time with Phoebe, Ben, Mary Lou and her classmates, and also her forever-perky English teacher Mr Birkway and her dad's girlfriend Mrs Cadaver. Seriously, just read it, because it will be a book that you will never grow out of.