on 24 September 2004
This book was so much more than I expected. It is not simply an interior design text; it is a book that takes you to a relaxing, comfortable, appealing place. If you even vaguely like the shabby chic style you will adore this book. The author takes you through the changes she created in her small home, showing that we do not need to live in huge, elegant houses to have a home we desire. Curl up in front of the fire or sit on the patio to read this book. I loved it!
on 18 February 2004
An excellent book, written in a friendly narrative manner and full of lovely pictures. Just like the best of the glossy magazines. Great for dipping into to improve your mood. If only I could aspire to such a house.
on 19 August 2012
A really inspirational book. I'd had trouble until now in identifying my taste, but this is pretty much bang on. Full of delightful pictures and a surprising number of tips (paint the inside of frosted glass to get it the colour you want, use flowers in unexpected places, created recesses for things like toilet roll holders if your bathroom is small, use beautiful bedding so the bed still looks good if it's unmade, paint utilitarian items such as stepladders an attractive colour if they are out on view). Unfortunately, Ashwell herself comes across as quite unpleasant and arrogant (I mean, who on earth changes their bathmat twice a DAY?). There's a lot of "I did this and I did that" but unlike Jocasta Innes, who clearly gets her own hands dirty, most of Ashwell's work is obviously done by an army of cheap Mexican workers. Nevertheless, well worth it for the lovely pictures and inspirational interior.
on 25 April 2010
i am a huge rachel ashwell fan, i bought all her books, there's an intimate delicacy in her taste, that makes the home feel fresh, lived and comfortable. to me it is a must have.
on 20 April 2014
Again lovely pictures and good if you want ideas on what could be achieved but personally I was looking for more "how to do's" which this book didn't do for me. Still worth buying for something to aspire to
on 7 August 2009
Rachel Ashwell was far ahead of her time when she took faded florals to America, this is a superb sourcebook for anyone who loves vintage style and wants to apply the look to their own home. I really hope that Ms Ashwell brings her designs back to England as looking through this book is very much like browsing through the best bits of interior magazines.
on 8 October 2014
I've only given a star so that I can submit this review. I feel so strongly about this rip off of a book. NO STARS REALLY.
This book was absolute rubbish, written by a smug self publicist. Please don't buy if you need inspiration just google shabby chic images.
on 21 August 2013
Maybe I didnt research enough but his book is good for inspiration, it has lots of pictures of shabby chic rooms but thats about it really. It is now an ornament on my blanket box coffee table. Looks good!
on 14 September 2000
This book shows how You can have a very special and cosy house with just little cunnings. If You loves the way to decor and personalize a house, this is Your book! I like shabby chic so I liked the book a lot, and it has very gorgeous photos. The cottage showed in the book is so cute! It'd be nice to find things how Rachel is able to do! Enjoy the book.
on 26 October 2011
I bought this book after having read the other reviews. What a disappointment! Funny, there was an inscription on the front cover from a mum who had given the book to her daughter (I bought it second hand) - I was surprised the daughter had sold it so soon after - now I know why! There is absolutely nothing in this book in terms of images. A couple of bedroom shots, a photo of a bathroom sink, and lots of singular pictures of flowers. I was expecting to find a book of ideas, instead I feel like tossing it in the bin. What a useless book!! I had ordered anther Ashwell book - it got lost in the post...maybe that's a good thing if it is like this one.