Customer reviews

on 27 October 2013
'When Sendak started illustrating and writing for children, he vowed that he wouldn't write stories of sunshine and rainbows, because that's not real life.' Does that explain the hint of darkness behind his tellings? Rightly called a library, this consists of alphabet book, counting book, rambunctuous rhyming book of months and cautionary tale, all in a box (or nutshell). A lot of kids' books these days are large and brash. These (best bought as a set) don't need to scream to be heard. Coming back to them as a grandparent their language seems rather Americanised (you have a choice of modifying the text or giving it an American lilt) but the charm is undiminished. Johnny, a boy, stars in all four, if memory serves. (Maurice wasn't quite so keen on girls.)
on 18 July 2014
One of our family's all time favourite book sets, very small and cute and will delight any child and more importantly the grown ups reading it. Sendak at his classic best. There are four miniature books: One was Johnny, Chicken Soup with Rice, Pierre, and Alligators All Around. Buy several copies and have in your emergency gift store - perfect present...
on 11 June 2012
I had this little collection as a girl and my sister reminded me of it when Maurice Sendak died. My sister would read it when I was out and always wanted my set. Over the years many moves later the books were lost and I decided I needed another set so I ordered one for me and one for my sister. It was lovely reading the magical tales and the rhymes again. Ahhh the past was a truly lovely place. I look forward to introducing this set to my grand children.
on 17 August 2016
These are the best books on Amazon. Started when my boy was 12 months old, he's 24 months now and we will read one or all everyday. So cool how they are small, I can easily keep one in my small handbag. And perfect for his little hands of he wants to thumb through it in his own. The best books!
on 3 September 2001
My brother was given this set of little books by our uncle, who lived in the States, when it was first published in 1962. He was four years old. It became a firm favourite in our home. My brother - the original recipient of the books - now lives in New York, and I asked him to send me copies first of all for my son, and then for the children of friends. I am still ordering copies and distributing them around the world - so far to New Delhi and Cape Town. The appeal of Maurice Sendak's enduring illustrations is universal and the miniature library of little books holds the same attraction now as it did when first published almost 40 years ago. In our family the original set is a bit of an heirloom.
on 5 March 2013
I bought this for our youngest grandchild as my American husband had this when he was a young child. They are very popular in the U.S. seeing that Maurice Sendak was an American. I don't think the English are familiar with these little books at all which is a great shame, but we can highly recommend them!
on 7 December 2012
Nice quick little story's with lovely picture. I cannot choose my favourite. But each is good in its own right. We often travel with it because it is small. A lovely present & books that you remember well into adulthood
on 7 March 2012
Unlike most 'mini' versions of classics, these were designed as a miniature set and all the more adorable for that.

They are all great books in their distinctive ways, as other reviewers have noted. I'm just adding the information (which has vastly added to my daughter's enjoyment of them) that if you go on youtube and look for Carole King and any of the titles in this mini library you'll find her singing along to the Really Rosie animated TV show which used Sendak's books way back in the 70's (I think). Sadly the TV show is not available on DVD.

You can also buy her album, Really Rosie, which has Carole King's song versions of Chicken Soup with Rice, Pierre, Alligators All Around and One Was Johnny.
HALL OF FAMETOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 7 August 2010
My kids came to these books through their love of "Where the wild things are". Although the most famous of Maurice Sendak's books, he was certainly more than that one title. After buying a DVD of "Where the wild things are and other stories" (with some lovely singing by Carole King) we came across these stories. The books are small, just right for children's hands, and the surreal stories are great. "Pierre" is the absolute favourite of my children - the little boy was did not care for anything his parents said and even while being eaten by a lion, until he realised, of course, that he DID care after all. These are little gems and no children's library is complete without Sendak's works.
on 27 March 2015
Classics from childhood still available in original nostalgic format.
Pierre still remain one of my favourite characters and the Sendak illustrations are timeless.
Great gift for 5-7 year olds
Every home should have a set.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse