Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Morrissey Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 20 March 2000
I am an avid Jane Austen fan and this is a wonderful updated version of the story. The characterization is great, especially of Harry Noble. However, sometimes the plot did seem kind of slow and I thought the ending could have been stronger. Nonetheless, the book was very enjoyable and I highly reccomend it. Also, if you loved Bridget Jones Diary...would would love this as well.
on 22 March 2000
Mellisa Nathan must be complimented. In trying to update Pride & Prejudice she has chosen to grapple with one of the best loved stories of all time. She succeeds extremely well. We all know how it is going to end, but the contempory setting has been worked out with great skill, and you can feel for all the participants. We can understand their motivations and their wishes. At last we have a normal heroine with a brain, who is not obsessed with catching a man as a means to prove her worth. She eats chocolate and enjoys it! She loves her family and is quite happy to stay single until the right man comes along if he ever does. The secondary characters are well drawn, and they also react true to the spirit of Jane Austen's originals. This book is just crying out to be made into a one off television drama or film. I look forward to Ms Nathan's next novel and hope it won't be too long a wait.
on 16 September 2000
This play is about a production of 'Pride and Predjudice' for charity. Basically the character's lives mirror the actor's lives making this book a modern P and P. It is v. funny, v. romantic and even though I knew the plot (having read and loved P and P) this book still managed to enthrall me.
on 1 February 2001
I can't recommend this book enough on these horrible cold winter days and nights. Just snuggle up on your sofa or in bed with a mug of tea, coffee or better still, a glass of wine, and relish in this update of a great classic. I thoroughly enjoyed all the characters particularly Jazz, George, and Harry. It was interesting to compare characters to the original P & P, but also to compare how Melissa Nathan updated the story such as Carrie and William. I also enjoyed reading about the production of a play from auditions through rehearsals to the performance. This enhanced the story and characters, and added to my understanding of Jazz. Overall, I loved this book, and I couldn't put it down till it finished (even though I did guess the ending!!)
on 1 March 2002
I simply could not put this book down. I loved the way the author has been able to devise a parallel plot to the original Pride&Prejudice, and the way the characters are so real. This book leaves you in an optimistic mood for days!
on 15 May 2001
While slow to start, this actually became a thoroughly fun and entertaining read. While I admire Kate Fenton's writing and quite liked Lions and Liquorice, I actually found Nathan's version -- a more direct contemporizing -- a quicker read. As I've mentioned in my other reviews, I doubt any of these novelist suppose themselves to be Austen or even her successor, but translate their affection for P&P into a story to be enjoyed by other fans. Nathan's novel is one such tale. She effectively tells the story, while fully acknowledging P&P (the characters are actually doing a theatrical production of the novel), in a witty manner and in a modern English setting. Delightful and easy to read.
on 20 December 2006
This was the second Melissa Nathan book I read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. She plays very nicely with the story of P&P, as a group of celebs put on a charity staging of the novel as a play. However, you may notice certain parallels between the stars who are involved in the play and Jane Austen's classic story....

You can always rely on Melissa Nathan to produce interesting characters and great writing, and on this occasion she has produced the goods again. Definitely recommended for JA fans and fans of modern romantic fiction alike (or for those who, like me, enjoy both!)
on 23 February 2001
I'm a huge fan of Jane Austin's work, but not a snobbish one. I love books that take off on her stories, as long as they're good stories on their own. P,P & JF is just that - a sweet, fun story. I don't think you'd need to be a P&P fan to enjoy this story, but it's more fun if you are. It's sly and clever, and you really root for Jasmin to find happiness with her "Darcy" at the end. I enjoyed this and am waiting for my next shipment to arrive from the UK with Melissa Nathan's send up of "Persuasion".
on 11 February 2000
A throughly enjoyable read. Even though I have never read Jane Austen, I found it very easy to identify with the characters. A great start for a new and young writer. I can't wait to read her next novel. I needed cheering up when I started reading this and it did the trick perfectly. I think there is a part of us in all the characters, especially Jazz and Mo. (I admit eating chocolate on the sofa in the evening is my idea of heaven as well) WELL DONE
on 18 January 2000
Hilarious, educative, gripping. Just wonderful. This knocks the socks off Bridget Jones - this has a character (Jasmin) who is the person that most women I know aspire to be/dream of being (you know - assertive but anxious, cutting but warm, gorgeous but not a stick insect) rather than Helen Fielding's worm. Thank you! More please!