on 4 September 2014
Sorry, didn't enjoy it much. Just a fictional possibility for end of WW2. Not one of Dobbs best in my opinion.
on 25 August 2017
Arrived on time and in good order as promised! My Mum is very happy! Thank you
on 15 October 2013
A story of intrigue - which bounces along nicely. I read it in one sitting!
A German prisoner of war [WW2] escapes from prison camp in England and enormous resources are put in place to find and recapture him. To the Germans, this "hero" must be brought back to Germany - they feel his presence there would be a major coup and would seriously embarrass the Allies, particularly Churchill. The Germans use submarines to bring him home to Germany [via Ireland]. This is successful but at enormous cost.
The escapee arrives in Germany and is brought to Hitler at the bunker in Berlin - just in time to experience the demise of the Nazis as Berlin falls to the Russians.
I am a fan of Dobbs anyway, but I particularly enjoyed this book. It has great believability.
on 2 June 2011
This is one of Mr Dobbs earlier novels and as a thriller this book is excellent.

Full of suspense, twists and turns, this story is a real page-turner, set as it is during the final days of World War Two.

The writer makes the reader consider what really happened at this time and his storyline challenges the history as we know it.

A pleasure to read.
on 25 October 2013
Michael Dobbs has the ability to write so that you feel you are actually there living the story. In fact it seems so real at times you begin to wonder if this is actually what happened and not as in the history books. Very fast moving and I love the twists that take the story in a different direction just when you think you know what is going to happen. Even the ending which if you have read the history books you know has a bizarre twist. Loved it.
on 2 March 2015
... I have and read all of Michael Dobbs books --- "Last Man to Die" is so GREAT. Do not read the last chapter until you get to it. When you read this book carefully think about it -- this could have really happened. There is nothing in History that says it couldn't have. Enjoy the book.
on 15 January 2014
I really enjoyed this book, I was enthralled by the theme of the book and did not guess the outcome although it was flagged up by the prologue. Enough of the plot was believable and was quite thought provoking having lived through this era. I shall certainly read more of Lord Dobbs' books
on 22 February 2014
I generally enjoy Michael Dobbs books - and this was no exception.

I rather like that the main character is not a boys-own hero and has some quite odd characteristics - as does the portrayal of Churchill. It's an interesting take, and certainly held my interest.
on 18 October 2013
The combination of fiction with accurate historical data was excellent. However, the main character was forced to take unlikely risks, in the submarine for example, if his mission was orchestrated by the Allies.
on 19 October 2013
It is some time since I read it but I remember I enjoyed it enormously. An intriguing look at the politics of WW11 and Churchill's machinations. It asks more questions than it answers!