on 26 May 2017
only read half of it so far but can say that this is a great book that takes you to the heart of Africa. It tells a family's experience through the eyes of the mother and each individual child in turn relating how their preacher father's beliefs put them all in jepordy.
on 6 April 2017
Fabulous-my new favourite author. This will stay with me for awhile
on 9 March 2017
If I hadn't had to read this for book club I would have given up after the first couple of pages! I wouldn't say I was gripped, but there was something interesting about the narrative style going between the female characters.
on 26 April 2016
How come I've never come across Barbara Kingsolver before? I am now an ardent fan. This book moved me on so many levels. Usually a 'lazy' reader who skips and speed reads through long, descriptive prose, I read every word of every sentence in every paragraph and chapter! Such poetic and evocative language, such insight that invoked laughter, anger and despair in myself the reader. A joy, that ought to be compulsory reading.... I'm certainly buying this book again to give to my friends.
on 20 September 2017
in Brief, this is now one of my all time favourinte books. Funny, sad, illuminating. One that stays with you after you have finished.
on 19 August 2017
As a child I spent 3 years in Nigeria, this novel was redolent of the sights sounds and smells of that experience, no desire to go b
on 11 June 2017
Read as part of a bookclub book, not really my cup of tea and not something I would select if picking a book, but it did have some humour in places. The ending was a little flat.
on 15 September 2017
This Book is written in a colourful, meaningful and touching way. It is full of history of hardships and kindness. It is filled with hope and emotions. The best of all, it is one of those that make you cry but quickly turn humorous to dispel the sadness just so your eyes clear enough to continue reading on. One of the best books I have ever read. Highly recommended.
on 20 July 2017
One of my top ten all time books. Its long and slow to start but well worth the effort
on 12 August 2017
This is a fantastic book I discovered it by accident after seeing it and reading the reviews on Kindle daily deals. What a wonderful experience this book was. I could not put it down, it painted such a vivid picture of life in the Congo. The writing was beautiful and I am now reading Barbara Kingsolver books.I am hooked!