Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 October 2016
Well, here's another book that it's taken me so long to getting around to reviewing, that they've had time to change the cover art since I bought it!
I'm a huge fan of Elmore Leonard and have been since I read "Maximum Bob", many moons ago now. "Freaky Deaky" is another "Detroit tale" of word-weary police officers and colourful low-lifes. But that hardly begins to do it justice. The storytelling is so crisp and descriptions are so stripped back, yet you find yourself hooked, filling in the details for yourself in your imagination. Totally immersive.
review image
on 26 June 2016
When I am encouraging someone to get into Elmore Leonard, as they should because he is, or sadly was, the greatest of all crime writers, I do this. I lend them Freaky Deaky. I tell them to read the first chapter. If they don't like it or they just think its okay, then they return the book and I tell them never to bother with Leonard again. But if they do like it or love it, then I tell them they now have the entire Leonard catalogue to read and savour. I love them all but Freaky Deaky is my favourite and the first chapter tells you absolutely everything you need to know about him. Great set up, brilliant and funny dialogue, stonking ending. Elmore Leonard in a nutshell.
VINE VOICEon 15 July 2012
Highly enjoyable modern crime fiction from this prolific American author. Chris Mankowski is a cop in a mid-career crisis. He elects to swop the joys of the 'Bomb Squad' for a move into Vice despite a hilariously abortive job interview. The book gets away to a flier with a cracking first chapter.

From his first case, the move proves disastrous and the book recounts his attempts to simultaneously salvage his career whilst catching the baddies. The 'Freaky Deaky' is a wild dance but also relates to the 'freaks' a USA slang term for eccentrics or oddballs often politically motivated.

Another reviewer recommended I give Mr Leonard another try and I'm glad I did. This was a short easy read that sped by. Plenty of humour and often adult content. The plot has a couple of aspects that grate; for example, the minder Donnell missed his vocation as a sniffer dog! But in the end this added to a slightly tongue-in-cheek style. Liked this and I can now see why Mr Leonard has so many fans.
on 30 June 2013
Different to rum punch and get shorty, pace and style seem slower
But engaging and strong story. Takes a little more to get going
on 21 May 2014
I read this as a result of seeing Leonard's obit. and realising I knew nothing of him. It is typical American cop/detective writing, tightly organised and plotted with lovely set pieces and an unusual sense of irony. The characterisation is slick rather than rich, the dialogue sparkles and the whole thing is a great light read. I shall try a few more of his considerable output.
on 14 June 2005
This novel contains all that is brilliant about Elmore Leonard and features what has to be the greatest opening chapter ever written.
on 13 August 2011
Fantastic book, if you've never read a Elmore Leonard novel - your missing out on such rich dialogue and interesting characters! THis guy isn't described as a legend for nothing.
on 24 August 2013
The style is a little weird and sometimes I was not too sure what some of the characters were up to. The pace is great and the lack of padding. I loved that
on 16 March 2015
Love Elmore? You'll love this.
on 1 February 2017