Customer reviews

Boy Meets Girl
Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 January 2005
I read the two books (Boy Meets Girl, & The Guy Next Door) in the wrong order. However, I found both books funny, romantic and great read. Boy meets Girl is so much better that The Guy Next door as it doesn't just use E-mails. The romance between KAte and Mitch was so clearand natural. Every time I read it I discover more parts that I hadn't read before. I hope she does another book avout this series.
on 3 March 2004
This was a truly enjoyable read, Meg Cabot really has something th offer as an author for adult literature. The format of the book, if some what different made it all the more entertaining. If you're a fan of Bridget Jones then you'll love this!
on 17 July 2010
Meg cabot is absolutely incredible. I couldn't put this book down. The way it's written using various things such as letters, emails, IM conversations, telephone messages and even receipts is genius. I would recommend this to anyone that likes a good romance novel, this one is brilliantly written and unique. Unmissable.
on 15 February 2004
I really enjoyed this book. It is based around a different character than 'Boy Next Door,' but it is just as good. This book is not only told through emails, but through journal entries, scraps of paper, instant messages and notes scribbled on menus. The character in 'Boy Meets Girl' is Kate Mackenzie, a 20 something yr old from Kentucky. She works in the Human Resources division of the New York Journal, the same company for which Mel Fuller (from Boy Next Door) works.
In the book, Kate is forced to fire a much loved member of staff, who then goes on to sue the company for wrongful termination of contract, and Kate is blamed. The twist is that the fiancé of Kate's boss Amy is the person responsible for the 'termination of contract.' He legally represents the company, and gets his brother Mitch to represent the company. Mitch, unlike his snobby older brother is a more down to earth character, and he takes a liking to Kate, and vice-versa.
If you have read 'The Boy Next Door,' the connection between the two books is that Mitch's sister is married to Jason, whose brother John is married to Mel Fuller, who works in Features of the New York Journal. The plot is interesting, and the ending satisfactory, so i highly recommend the book.
on 9 June 2004
I love this book. it's one of those books you can read over and over again. If you've read "the guy next door" from the same author, it's even better cause the story is also situated around the office of the New York Journal. Further, lots of characters from "the guy next door" are also in the book (some got married or pregnant in the meantime!).
Well, anyway, it's still a very funny book and a great story, and, the way it's written is also really nice, it's just emails to and from, voice mail messages etc. so if you like this voyeuristic aspect this book is made for you
on 15 June 2010
It's not all that often that I get the urging to read "chick lit", but when I do there are three authors I'm most likely to turn to - Marian Keyes, Melissa Senate and Meg Cabot. Cabot's plots are incredibly entertaining, and she has great characters, a lovely sense of humour and a writing style perfect for this type of story.

In Boy Meets Girl, Kate is homeless, boyfriend-less, and involved in a lawsuit where the newspaper she works for is being sued by an employee she was forced to fire (she works in the HR department). At her first deposition, she meets a man she's hugely attracted to and who is also interested in her - the only problem is, he's the lawyer defending her, and she despises corporate lawyers.

It's a sort-of sequel to Cabot's earlier novel, The Guy Next Door (now being published as The Boy Next Door) but revolves around different characters.

The novel is written through a paper trail of sorts - letters, notes, emails, diary entries, transcripts, etc. It feels a bit odd at first, but once you get past the first few pages you'll hardly notice that it's not normal prose; it flows really well. Highly recommended.
on 15 March 2007
I loved this book. I originally purchased it to take on holiday with me, but couldn't resist taking a peak inside and end up reading the entire book. I can't wait to check out the other 2 books from this series. I really liked the style of writing as it was short and snappy. I would definitely recommend this book. If you like this sort of book you should also check out "and god created the au-pair" by Pascale Smets and Benedicte Newland. Right I'm off now to find another book to take on holiday......
on 9 February 2006
Let me start off by saying that this book is not nearly as complicated as the above synopsis makes it sound. 'BOY MEETS GIRL' is told in a series of e-mails, voice mails and hand written notes. It is about Kate McKenzie a woman who loves her job but hates her boss nicknamed, the T.O.D. (Tyrannical Office Despot) by she and her best friend Jen. However, when the T.O.D. forces Kate to fire one of the most beloved members of the food service staff Kate feels she needs to take a stand, but before she gets a chance she is hit with a wrongful termination lawsuit. Now Kate must try to see that justice is served all while trying to hold on to her job and impress the handsome lawyer that was assigned to her case.
I found `BOY MEETS GIRL' to be laugh out loud funny and quick to read (perfect for a long plane ride), however the e-mail format made it a little harder for me to get into the story. I felt as though I didn't get to know enough about the characters and while I did enjoy `BOY MEETS GIRL' I do not think that I would want to read another book in this format, 3 ½ stars.
on 8 August 2012
I read them in the wrong order, the first last, but they were great. The series, I mean.

This book is really good, and the emails between them are funny. Gets better half way through. It is romantic, and funny when (part spoiler) Dale comes into the office!!!! Love Mitch's family!!

My favourite in the series is 'Every Boy Has One'. It sounds wrong, but I see it as a heart. :)

LONG LIVE WONDERCAT!!!
on 31 December 2012
Huge fan of Meg Cabot since I was little and I was delighted to see she has released adult books. I adore the way this is so cleverly written as a paper Chase and it was a delight to read - from start to finish. Highly recommended.