Customer reviews

Rum Punch
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 14 March 2016
As many reviewers have already stated, this is the novel upon which the film 'Jackie Brown' is based, and the reader can immediately see similarities to Tarantino films in the dialogue. The plot is deceptively simple, although complicated by the machinations of the characters as they try to deceive and out manoeuvre each other. Elmore Leonard sketches an amusing series of characters who spring to life off the page with vivid and incisive dialogue. The author is very effective at changing perspective and producing convincing internal voices for the assortment of characters, but the reader has to pay attention to follow the action and the dialogue. The book has a very American feel to it, which might be way Leonard hasn't received as much popularity and attention in the UK that he deserves. I am definitely tempted to reach for further thrillers by Elmore Leonard.
on 15 September 2016
The story of Ordell Roberts, who smuggles guns to the Bahamas and air hostess Jackie Burke, who smuggles his money back for him, is set in Florida. When Jackie gets caught with thousands of dollars in her flight bag, the state police threaten her with a long jail sentence unless she helps them entrap Ordell. Bail Bondsman Max Cherry gets involved when Ordell asks him to have Jackie bailed. Max and Jackie are attracted to one another and Elmore Leonard takes these elements and creates a fast moving and exciting plot with plenty of ingenious twists and turns and dialogue that crackles with authenticity and pace.
on 29 November 2017
This was made into a film by Tarantino, called "Jackie Brown. In the book she is Jackie Burke. Tarantino changed the title and Jackie's surname but otherwise he stuck to the story as written. He didn't need to - it's an Elmore Leonard story.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 24 April 2015
I read this book because I loved the movie Jackie Brown. It was perfectly ok, and I'm glad I read it for that reason, but I can't say I can see what all the hype about Elmore Leonard is based on. Nothing wrong with the book, but it didn't make me want to rush out and buy any of his others (except The Switch, which introduces Ordell, Louis & Melanie).
on 11 September 2013
The characters may be crooked and sleazy but their crimes and follies provide us with fast moving entertainment. I like to see them all get their comeuppance in due course and Elmore makes it happen. You always get the feeling that he enjoys writing crime fiction and I certainly enjoy reading it.
on 30 September 2014
I read the book after seeing a review which stated it could have won the booker prize but did not because the prize was not then open to American writers.

I think anyone interested in thrillers would enjoy it.

I gave it five stars because it has a great plot and atmosphere seemingly true to life and is very well written.
on 18 September 2013
Elmore Leonard's writing is fast paced, full of detail and swings the plot along like Usain Bolt running down the freeway. This book is what the film Jackie Brown was based on and having missed it at the cinemas I'm going to catch up with it as soon as I can. The dialogue is what carries you along, that along with the undertow of humour, despite the violence and criminality, you are swept away and intrigued with both character and story line. More twists and turns than a garden hose!
Chris
One person found this helpful
on 23 February 2015
I've been intending to read some Elmore Leonard for some time and opted for Rum Punch as I liked Tarantino's film Jackie Brown. Very enjoyable and I look forward to reading more.
on 5 November 2015
Excellent. If you know for sure who's got the money all the way through you're either a genius or self-deluded.
on 26 June 2015
The book arrived in the condition stated. Thanks. I loved the film but have yet to read the book. Thanks.