Customer reviews

on 13 May 2017
Really enjoyed reading this sad and surprisingly honest autobiography. I'm not really into fashion and I don't think you need to be to enjoy this very insightful insider account of the world of fashion as it was then, maybe not much has really changed.
on 28 October 2017
This woman is a little too self obsessed for my liking. Also, she hasn't really revealed any juicy bits. It's all about her hard life and is a little repetitive.
on 30 July 2017
This is a great book and has a ballsy style just like Janice. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 8 September 2017
Couldn't put it down
on 21 October 2015
Great read
on 9 February 2016
Arrived promptly, great read!
on 17 January 2008
I took this book with me on a holiday abroad. It was a magical read - I had to stop myself from reading the whole book in one go. I wanted to savour it, day after day.

The supermodels, the drugs, the sex, the celebrities, the 70s and the 80s - it's all there.

Well-written, gripping and emotional.
Janice is an amazing woman.
Highly recommended!
on 9 March 2005
Janice Dickinson's autobiography is a candid look at the bitchy, high-octane world of high fashion. Starting with her blue-collar upbringing in Florida, growing up with an sexually abusive father & a damaged mother, Janice's life story is certainly worthy book-material. From her unhappy childhood to her tedious beginnings in the modelling world in Manhattan, her life was an uphill struggle. Soon catching the wave of change, breaking the mould with her dark-looks and boyish figure, Janice was never going to be your typical All-American girl next door. And her story is definately more exciting than anything the girl next door could tell you anyway.
Dickinson's story moves at lightening speed, from boyfriend to boyfriend, designer to designer. Sometimes it's hard to keep track, which I suppose is perfectly apt - as this writing style mimics the very speed and pace that her career and life travelled at at that time. From the glamourous foreign locations to the heady excess of Studio 54, Janice paints a fantasty world of almost ludicrous proportions. Except that it's not a fantasy world at all - it all happened, and Janice recalls each event with glorious detail and candour. Her honesty and confidence is very refreshing, making such a nice change from the usual sychophantic memiors that fill the shelves.
My only complaint is with the last section of the book, covering the 1990s. Janice is very vague and seems to completetly rush throught these years, with major marriages and realtionships over and done with in a matter of pages. But hey, who really cares about those years anyway? We all what to read about Janice in her prime, in the 70s and 80s, when cocaine and platform shoes were practically a legal requirement.
Some may find Dickinson too much to take (she is a tad irritating at times), but I can forgive her for it, because she makes up for it with her brutal honesty and humour.
A must read
on 23 October 2015
I absolutely loved this book. As someone who only became aware of Janice Dickson when she was on "I'm a Celebrity GMOH, and recently on CBB, I have to say that I find her fascinating. This book gives you an insight to her childhood and her life up to probably mid life. In the telling of her childhood its quite sad and clearly had a profound effect on her although she doesn't use it in a woe is me way. I think it allows you see that in order to survive and to get where she wanted to go it instilled in her an remarkable ethic to work and work. While reading this book I felt that I was sitting down with Janice with a glass of wine and her chatting away to you - I could nearly hear her talk to me from the pages. She does name drop A LOT! some I knew and some I had no clue who they were but you get over that. Some of the events in the book she has mentioned while on these shows but she does go into them a little more in the book. I also found the photos in the book brilliant - some she actually took herself. As she seems to be in real life she is in her writing. She had me hooked from the start and I couldn't put the book down. She had me laughing out loud at times, she pulls no punches tells it like it is. Can't wait for the next one
on 4 August 2010
I read this book yesterday !
Okay its hardly a masterpiece on epic proportions but it got me so engrossed straight away that I had to read it all in one day . I loved her on Americas Next Top Model....she made me laugh out loud , sat next to Tyra (got a rod up my ass) Banks and then in the Jungle and Come dine with me...although these shows are well after the time covered in the book.
It does cover serious issues with her abusive father 'the rat bastard' as she rightly calls him and her pill popping mother who was next to useless. I found myself really rooting for the young Janice to prove the rat bastard wrong and make something of herself. Which of course we know she does but my goodness theres a lot of things on the way that make a really good read , some that shock and some that make you feel so sorry that she had such a crappy start and the feeling that with two loving parents things would have turned out differently.