on 6 February 2014
This book seems to miss entirely the point that life is not and should not be judged on a strict monetary cost/benefit basis. People are not motivated solely by money. People who strive to reach the top and narrowly fail are not necessarily wasting their time. They might well benefit greatly from having made the effort and from the experience gained. And that benefit could be a monetary one but not necessarily. Sadly, the book struck me as a thinly disguised example of the economics of envy.
on 2 December 2013
Although a little dated Frank provides a very useful critique of how neo-liberal capitalism has created an ever greater level of inequality within most modern societies.
on 23 August 1998
As CEO of the Santa Felite Corporation, I feel that it is impossible to understand the economy of the United States with out this book. I've had some of the same thoughts as these authors for quite a few years now. One of the top ten books of the century, I think I can.
on 20 December 2010
I bought this book for a university module: 'The economics of film and television'. I was very much a beginner with economics, having not taken anything to do with it before, but I really enjoyed this book.

I found it easy to understand, but not because the ideas were really basic- just because it was written so well. It was really nice to read, enjoyable; like proper authors, not just people who are good at economics.

It was also quite compelling- I'm no expert at the topic, but still, they managed to persuade me to their point of view pretty easily!

Thoroughly recommend, either if you're studying the topic or just fancy a nice read on the subject area, from beginners to experts.