Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 May 2014
What can one say about the content? Nothing which hasn't been said zillions of times before. Typical Victorian style - wordy and over long but of course astonishingly insightful in to many of the facts and theories that we take for granted nowadays.

The volume? - well let us say, its for the budget conscious. American edition spelling, modest number of typos (although many more in the Kindle version of the same edition), typical paperback printing. Fine if you just want to read the text, as I did. If you want a collectors edition, look elsewhere and pay more.
on 22 December 2013
How do you rate the best of its kind, not the easiest book in the world to read but there is NO doubt that Charles Darwin knows what he is writing about, I have heard of this book since I was at school - WHY did it take so long for me to read it - I do not know, I must be stupid.
on 29 December 2013
this is the first none-fiction classic I've had a go at and still haven't finished but, aside from how the old fashioned way of writing seems to at least double the word count, it's broken into reasonably sized sections that average joe like me can still enjoy reading. it gives a good understanding of the lengths darwin went to in understanding and proving his theories.
VINE VOICEon 6 July 2013
This is a quick review of the book not a dissertation on Darwin or any other subject loosely related. At first I did not know what to expect. I already read " The Voyage of the Beagle: Charles Darwin's Journal of Researches". I figured the book would be similar. However I found "Origin" to be more complex and detailed.

Taking in account that recent pieces of knowledge were not available to Charles Darwin this book could have been written last week. Having to look from the outside without the knowledge of DNA or Plate Tectonics, he pretty much nailed how the environment and crossbreeding would have an effect on natural selection. Speaking of natural selection, I thought his was going to be some great insight to a new concept. All it means is that species are not being mucked around by man (artificial selection).

If you picked up Time magazine today you would find all the things that Charles said would be near impossible to find or do. Yet he predicted that it is doable in theory. With an imperfect geological record many things he was not able to find at the writing of this book have been found (according to the possibilities described in the book.)
The only draw back to the book was his constant apologizing. If he had more time and space he could prove this and that. Or it looks like this but who can say at this time. Or the same evidence can be interpreted 180 degrees different.

In the end it is worth reading and you will never look at life the same way again.

The Voyage of the Beagle: Charles Darwin's Journal of Researches (Penguin Classics)
on 16 June 2014
Yes, the book is "On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life" and was written back in the mid 1800s, which would account for how hard to read it is, but get past that it's a solid and well written book that explains everything very well, even for people that don't know much about evolution or Darwin, which shows that it is a brilliant learning tool.

I rated it 3 stars because, as the title suggests, I seemed to have received a poorly made copy of the book. There's several ink stains along the top of the outside of the first 100 pages, and pages 381 to 396 aren't glued into the book properly so fall out as you read. It's not too hard to look past these two flaws in the book, especially since the price is so cheap, but if you need this book for students, or to use in the classroom I would advise you get Hardbacks, or at least a better version; since this book is pretty easy to tear and destroy and children seem to be the best at that sort of thing.
VINE VOICEon 4 April 2010
Because these reviews are cross-posted, this is a review of ISBN: 0517123207, with a cover that was defiantly made to be provocative. It depicts an (ape) allying view of going from all fours to upright. If this is what you are looking for then you need to read " 2001: A Space Odyssey" by Arthur Charles Clarke.

This is a quick review of the book not a dissertation on Darwin or any other subject loosely related. At first, I did not know what to expect. I already read " The Voyage of the Beagle: Charles Darwin's Journal of Researches" (see my review). I figured the book would be similar. However, I found "Origin" to be more complex and detailed.

If you picked up Time magazine today you would find all the things that Charles said would be near impossible to find or do. Yet he predicted that it is doable in theory. With an imperfect geological record, many things he was not able to find at the writing of this book have been found (according to the possibilities described in the book.)

The only draw back to the book was his constant apologizing. If he had more time and space he could prove this and that. Or it looks like this but who can say at this time. On the other hand, the same evidence can be interpreted 180 degrees different.

In the end, it is worth reading and you will never look at life the same way again.

The Ascent of Man by Jacob Bronowski
on 6 January 2014
This book really inspires me, as it shows both the human need to investigate and how when shown proof we can come to our own conclusions.
Everyone obviously already knows about the theory of evolution, but it is worth the read to see how Darwin came to the conclusion.
I'd recommend it to anybody really!
on 30 May 2014
A book that changed the world, Darwin is to biology what Newton is to physics. Although the idea has progressed considerably since this book was written (Darwin had no knowledge of DNA) it is still worth reading such a wonderfully written and important book.
on 9 March 2016
The description said that the book was used and in good condition, I would have said that the book was in excellent condition. Very pleased with my purchase.
on 19 January 2016
I of course loved it being interested in human biology. A book I wanted to read for some time.
Arrived quickly in excellent condition.