on 29 June 2015
I am happily makeing my way throughj all her books.
She is a lasy afternoon chicklet princess in my book!
on 6 February 2014
I flew through this book in a few hours.. it had me laughing and crying. I am a huge fan of the author
on 22 October 2006
OK, this might be a personal thing but I really felt the lead (Katie) ended up with the wrong fella! Won't say too much here about that as don't want to spoil it before you read it, but it was the one bug bear I had with this. Apart from that really loved it - easy to read, devoured it in a day as couldnt put it down and really cared about the characters to the point of crying at one point. Can we have a sequel please? (or if there is one, someone let me know! lol).
on 2 September 2005
Having been impressed by two of Colgan's previous books, Talking To Addison and Do You Remember The First Time?, I was looking forward to her most recent title, Where Have All The Boys Gone?
As with many books of this genre, the book's premise of a London PR girl leaving behind all her mod-cons in order to embrace the "great outdoors" seemed slightly contrived. However, I was willing to give it a go, based on Colgan's earlier accomplishments...
I do not wish to spoil it for those who have not yet read it, so I will simply say that it starts off "ok" (for want of a better adjective!), lulls tremendously in the middle, but is thankfully recovered in the final third of the book. At this point, I was happy to find I couldn't put it down, as I wanted to see how everyone ended up.
It's not a bad book, but I was actually bored whilst reading a large proportion of it. Nonetheless, if you work through it as I did, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the ending.
VINE VOICEon 7 October 2005
Having read the previous reviews before completing the book, I must admit to agreeing with them to a certain extent. However, once I'd finished reading, I thought Miss Colgan's book was a thumping good read. It's basically your formulaic 'chick lit' - single girl, no available decent blokes, best friend has dodgy lovelife, PR job etc etc, however, Colgan's quirky humour makes it an easy book to read and you often feel as though you're being amused by a quirky friend in the pub.
This is exactly the kind of book which will liven up any boring daily commute and you'll want to laugh out loud at some of the text. I particularly loved Miss Colgan's various references to 'Viz' characters - and there was me thinking that I was very much in the minority of female readers!
Great stuff!
on 21 May 2017
Good Clean condition
on 25 March 2006
I really enjoyed reading this.
It's not a book that will keep you guessing or provide any intellectual challenge, but if you're looking for an afternoon with a relaxing book then this is it.
While the plot is a little weak, the characters are mostly lovable and the pace (at only ~200 pages) doesn't keep you waiting. It also DOES give a decent insight into the modern girls life. There is nothing profound... but it takes a few (valid) shots at the "work hard, play hard" lifestyle.
I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good relaxing read with no taxing twists.
on 25 May 2014
Lightweight and amusing, chick lit, you do not have to think when reading it at all.however it is funny and positive.
on 28 March 2014
Usual warm hearted read that gives plenty of giggles and fairy tail ending. Would recommend it as nice easy read.
on 16 August 2005
I have read all of Jenny Colgan's books but have felt that the last few have not really lived up to the promise of Amanda's wedding and talking to Addison. This novel focuses on how difficult it is for women to find a man in London and when the two heroines are sent off to a remote Scottish Village mainly inhabited by men how their life changes. The story is very predictable with a few giggles along the way but not really a page turner. Fine for a sunbed read but if you're in to chick lit go for something a but meatier like Lisa Jewell or Adele Parks.