on 31 March 2018
OK as a holiday read. The action was unbelievable - the protagonist always outwitting, outfighting, outmanoeuvring other police or large numbers of bad guys. The author doesn't understand basic stuff like the time of high/low tide depending on the moon's phase and not the geographic location (his hero recalling from his childhood holidays there that the low tide off the Northumbrian coast is always early morning )!. Some of the twists were a surprise to the hero, but not to me. Probably would have liked it more if I had been reading it slightly drunk.
on 14 August 2015
I have read the previous books, but this one has just lost the plot. The hero runs unscathed several times from hails of bullets, finds disused tunnels, empty factories and empty rooms in a tiny museum to escape through. The 'villain' is an army (literally) of killers who turn up mob-handed anywhere, on time, with more on the way. The 'piece de resistance' is the arrival of six police helicopters drawn from all over the country in a couple of hours that manage to arrive in the North East in perfect flight formation just at the critical moment of the final gun battle. It is less police novel and more like Armageddon.

I am happy enough to accept a suspension of belief to keep a story moving, but this is suspension of belief with a few bits of storyline thrown in.
on 11 July 2014
I love detective Mark Heckenburg, there is just something about him. In this book he turns into a one man army, in a story that goes from a good interesting read to an edge of your seat breathless thriller ! Although a lot of the situations he gets into are a bit unrealistic, his character is so well written and Paul Finch describes everything so well that you almost lose yourself in the story telling and start picturing the scenarios he (Heck) gets himself into. There is one scene where he is escaping into a tunnel that gets smaller and smaller that had me gasping with claustrophobic breathes. I am working my way thru all Paul's books, including having two on order for dec 2014 and even one for 2015 as I just think he writes an amazing book. It is an added bonus that it is set in the Uk so places he names are not a mystery like in American thrillers. Unputdownable, a real reading treat.
2 people found this helpful
on 15 September 2016
The Killing Club follows on from Stalkers and whilst each book could stand alone if you haven't already met Beck then Stalkers is as good an introduction you could wish for. Stalkers is where you meet the Nice Guys and I have to say I felt quite miffed when I got to the end which tho the detective got his man that was not the conclusion I expected, thanks to the Killing g
Club I discovered what did come next. Having already read the two books a couple o f years ago I was sucked into the maverick cops world complete with palpitations even when I knew what the outcome would be.
on 1 June 2017
I enjoy Paul Finch's books but I think he must be using a dictionary of modern small arms and just allocates different weapons to different characters for amusement; it really doesn't make a lot of sense; must be a nightmare to acquire resupply of ammo !! As another reviewer mentions maybe a little too much chasing and shooting and not enough story/plot. But it is a rather mindless enjoyable read, doesn't tax the intellect !
on 6 February 2015
Another very good entry in the Heck series but not quite as good as the first two.
Heck is fast becoming one of my favorite characters in this genre. However Gemma Piper is becoming tough to take. (reason for only 4 stars). Her ambition and the ends justify the means philosophy are tiresome. Her efforts against Heck to cover up her malfeasance were unconscionable and cruel. Trying to keep Heck out of the action to cover her butt were incompetent and jeopardized resolving the mess she created.
Her arrogance and attitude at the end after Heck's efforts were unwarranted. How did she think this would end, after what she did?
It is time for Heck to move on professionally and personally.
on 5 January 2018
Another excellent read from Paul Finch. I adore this author. One of my new favourites. I also love Heck's character - I know sometimes the things he does are a little off the wall but you've got to love his super powers! He's great. My dad, my brother and I are all working our way through the Heck series. Keep them coming please Mr Finch
on 5 December 2014
An exciting if way, way (add another way) over the top thriller where our hero, DC Heckenburg (Heck) comes across as a mix of Bruce Willis (Die Hard) and Dirty Harry. He overcomes (mostly) single handled a gang of ruthless criminals that seem to have an almost unlimited supply of weapons. Heck is taken off the case but as the body count rises manages to escape police custody to track the baddies down. Even up against ex military mercenaries armed to the teeth Heck emerges (virtually) unscathed. At one point I was reminded of the Terminator as a baddie is set on fire (gruesome) , shot but still keeps coming ! Maybe the book is meant to be a little tongue in cheek?
Overall a good if undemanding read.
on 8 February 2018
These books are well described and well written, but I find myself thinking that I am reading a fantasy tale in certain parts,I like my crime novels to be believable and some times this author just pushes my boundaries a little to far, this spoils for me what would have been a brilliant plot.
on 28 July 2014
Paul Finch writes how I want to read a book, pacy, attention to detail without telling me how many ice cubes somebody has in thier drink, with believable characters that are as flawed as the rest of us.
I read a book for the same reason I go to the cinema or watch a television program, thats primarily to be entertained, thats if you find crime fiction entertaining.
So the "Killing club" fits the bill and as far as Im concerned it entertains me with its story line, individual characters and a level of nastiness that is within my parameters.
An enjoyable read that grows as the story unfolds and builds.