on 22 December 2017
I feel like I missed something compared to all of the other reviewers.

I bought this based on the film trailer and the premise started off great but quickly just went downhill to the point where nothing really happened. It's not that the ending was bad... there just wasn't really one; it just fizzled out.

Perhaps this is ploy to get you to buy the next book... but if so then if definitely feels like a money-grab, especially as the book is so short. I won't be bothering with the others. Hopefully the film is better!
on 7 January 2018
I very rarely give up on a book but this did me. So glad I bought it cheap on Kindle. Boring pretentious and over written. But mainly just dull. An interesting premise maybe but about 40% in and stopping was far preferable to struggling on to find out what was going on. I was ready to kill the self obsessed narrator!
on 8 October 2017
a gripping recount of a mysterious and dangerous exploration. reminded me in a way to 'roadside picnic' by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, in some ways that is. a metaphysical exploration into a very dangerous landscape- can't wait for the movie.
on 17 October 2017
If you like sci-fi and thriller mixed into one book then this book is for you. I’m now looking forward to the film to be out next year. In the mean time I’m off to read part 2 of this book, to see what happens to the main character and Area X.
on 16 December 2017
Fans of Sci-Fi, mystery, adventure; an extraordinary book for every taste. The mysteries that unravel are seen through the eyes of a scientist, who’s style lends credibility and reality to an increasingly unreal and unsettling domain. Probably the best book I’ve read all year.
on 11 November 2017
Not being a regular book reader (holidays normally) it takes something special to peak my interest and this did. Found it quite hard to get into initially as the story line is somewhat odd to say the least but given time it got very compelling. Looking forward to see how the film in 2018 compares.
on 17 December 2017
Tedious & boring. An interesting idea but characters are unpleasant & unsympathetic, plot is vague and writing is pretentious.
on 15 October 2017
The breadth and reach of this first book of the trilogy is amazing.
Whilst the botanist is a trained observer and analyst, she finds it impossible to fully comprehend what she sees, leaving the reader to try and fill in the gaps.
I'm straight on to the next book to discover more!
on 8 October 2017
Interesting premise; like the vaguely futuristic unanswered question. It reminds me of the TV show Lost, but I don't know why.
on 14 October 2017
Purchased as a gift for my teenage daughter who really enjoyed it and can't wait to read the next book.