on 28 October 2015
God this book moved fast.
It seemed to me he went from prince to slave to silver tongued man in the space of 50 pages. There was zero gravity to any choices because he seemed to get himself out of them instantly. It lacks depth and the world building was woeful. Really amatuer stuff here imo. I'm going to give it 3 because I reserve 2 and 1 for twiight level bad writing, and this one was atleast competent in that department. Just boring I'm afraid, very boring.
on 17 August 2017
I am a recent recruit to his work and must say I have enjoyed everything he has written...
The ability to create a world so quickly, with characters and plots that twist and turn enthralls me.
The story is solid and lays the basis for the next two books....but also works as a stand alone, although I would be surprised if you did not want more after finishing it.
Well worth it!!
on 12 November 2016
Having been spoiled by the excellent `First Law` series I was hoping for another fine read, but it was not to be. The characters had little depth and I simply could not engage with them. The weak plot jumped rapidly from one scenario to the next giving the impression Joe wanted to get to the end of the story as quickly as I did. Unfortunately I had already purchased ` Half the World` before I discovered these novels are aimed at the Young Adult market. I hope the second book in the series improves or Joe stops dumbing down his supreme writing skills and gets back to what he is so very good at.
on 25 July 2015
The beginning of this book was well written and had a good story plot, and I did enjoy it for the first 3/4 of the book. But the last few chapters really let it down, it became badly written has if it was rushed to a conclusion, with flowery writing which really puts me off. The main character did not learn form his experiences, and most if not all the characters were not explored well enough for me to give this more then 2 stars. I am left very disappointed and doubt I will ever read another book from this author.
on 31 May 2015
I've enjoyed Joe's books in the past very much so.
And to a certain extent I enjoyed this as well.
Just not as much.
It starts out promising enough and I'm really not qualified to criticize somebody else's work.

It's good but wraps up a little to fast for my liking, with no real pay off.
on 18 July 2015
An interesting and gripping tale that in many ways parallels the 'Viking' sagas. Whilst it is difficult to write a truly new story on this theme Abercrombie weaves an intricate story of fortune, misfortune and comrades in adversity.
I thoroughly enjoyed the book - it may be a sign of my age and an over-active imagination,but, if made ionto a film, I had a mental image of Tony Curtis and Kirk Douglas in the lead male roles but was somewhat at a loss to cast the females - anybody have any suggestions?
on 16 August 2015
Not as good as i imagined it would be after reading the reviews. I just did not get into the story or really care about any of the characters or what was happening. I cant explain why I just did not get on with this book.
on 23 April 2017
...he doesn't deserve to lose potential readers yet. More like this would make me ignore him. It would have perhaps been nice to know this was targeted at young adults first, but I would have still expected more complexity and length, this was for kids. All I can ask is "how young is a young adult"? Perhaps I'm weird, but I'd read the majority of Tolkien's work by 14. Thankfully I didn't pay full price for this.
Three stars as I like the author and there were glimpses of the old Abercrombie. I'll read the others if I can buy them cheap (just for completion) but suspect the series will go to charity after.
on 4 September 2015
You cant go wrong with anything Joe Abercrombie writes, The First Law trilogy and subsequent standalone books have all been in my opinion fantastic. This one is set in the Viking era and again laced with dark humour and fantastic action, weaved around and interesting story. What more could you want got it bought and get it read!!!!
on 10 April 2017
A gripping story of war and kings. It has twists and turns. It is unexpected in its warmth and humour. It tells of revenge and yet breaks your heart when that is achieved.