Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 January 2016
I had never read any of the Mary Poppins books as a child, although I grew up with the film, which was made when I was about two, and have always loved it; it is one of my nostalgic treasures! So I thought it was about time I read the book, and it hasn't taken anything away from my affection for the film (thankfully). As others have pointed out, it is not a linear novel; it is a series of short stories featuring Mary, her friends and relatives, the Banks' family, and a number of other characters I won't describe as it might spoil it for you.
The book has a different atmosphere to the film; it is all a bit darker, less sentimental; Mary herself is not as endearing a character as Julie Andrews portrays, but is actually more interesting for it. Some of the stories come as something of a surprise until you read that P L Travers had a lifelong interest in myth and legend.
I would heartily recommend this to anyone, whether you have seen the film or not. I will definitely be reading the rest (I think there are six in all)
on 7 June 2017
I really couldn't relate this book to the film at all and really didn't enjoy reading it at all. I only decided to read the book after seeing the film Saving Mr Banks. Thank goodness Mr Disney made such a good job of the Mary Poppins film!
on 23 March 2017
I had this book, same cover as a young girl. Can now read it to my grandchildren. Pleased with purchase.
on 6 June 2017
I enjoy reading Mary Poppins. I had no idea there were so many books as I only ever watched the original film that misses so much.
on 19 March 2017
Great price. Great item. Got here in good time
on 29 December 2016
Lovely book, just as I remember it as a child in the 1970s
on 16 May 2017
Daughter loves it said it's so much different from the film
on 12 June 2017
Great
on 19 April 2017
Was a gift, but looked good. Arrived on time
on 26 April 2017