on 4 March 2016
This book is amazing in the way that it is an actual truth of what it is really like to be foster carer. I am a foster carer and I could relate to so many things in this book. I have never had a placement as extreme as this where the abuse was so bad. It's good to hear about someone else's experience in case it is something I am faced with in the future. One part of fostering that really gets to me is that when the child comes into care filthy with no clean clothes and then you get to contact and the parents who neglected them have the cheek to complain that they have a bit of ice cream on their child's face and then you as the carer are then treated like a criminal and get a telling off from the social worker, WTF are you serious. It's no wonder a lot of the people I know have given up fostering the parents get away with so much and everything the foster carer does is scrutinised, sorry rant over. Read this book it's a must!
2 people found this helpful
on 18 January 2018
Hi I really injoyed the book I could not put it down I think it would of been nice to more what had happened to Natasha if she ever found lives or dead .perhaps that could be a follow on book about Natasha and her live
on 1 November 2017
Reading this book filled me with admiration for foster careers and the wonderful results they sometimes achieve. Rosie Lewis is, in my opinion, a brilliant writer who told the story of her journey with Phoebe in a very moving way. Although this is a very upsetting book in parts, the happy ending was lovely.
on 7 December 2014
THIS IS ONE OF THOSE BOOKS THAT REALLY TELL MAN'S INHUMANITY TO MAN. BUT IT IS MADE EVEN WORSE AS THE RECEIPIENT IS A CHILD. ROSIE HAS THE PATIENCE OF A SAINT COMBINED WITH THE ABILITY TO REALISE THE UNDERLYING PROBLEMS, AND THE ABILITY TO GAIN THE CHILD'S CONFIDENCE LEADING TO THE TRUTH BEING TOLD.
I HAVE GREAT REGARD FOR ROSIE AND OTHERS LIKE HER, I CERTAINLY COULDN'T TAKE ON WHAT AT TIMES IS AN HORRIFIC REALLITY.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 30 June 2014
Five stars because I was given the opportunity to read the first ten chapters for free. What the girl must have endured makes it easier to understand the way she acted. The authors’/foster carers’ recognition of the subtle tell-tale signs & what she did to protect her from going through it again. Its quite emotional & the ending (even though it’s not the end) is a happy one. I’d recommend it to someone doing social studies for obvious reasons.
on 12 March 2015
I read this book with some anxiety knowing something horrific was about to come to light and of course it did , I don't know how a parent could be so horrifically abusive towards there own child but as Rosie explains through her sheer determination and willingness to help the poor child things can only get better , excellent read.
on 12 June 2014
This book has some very sad content, but the foster carer helps this child out of her world of pain. I could not put this book down. It makes feel good that there are brilliant carers out there who help these children. The book also gives an insight into the care system. If you like Cathy Glass and Casey Watson books, this will appeal to you.
One person found this helpful
on 17 October 2014
I love the story, though i wish to know more details about what happened to the parents (as i love true crime story genre as well). I used to think i might want to foster one day but this story puts me off, only super brave and kind person like the author can stand it really. A new respect to selfless foster parents everywhere. This is really a very fascinating account. Well written. Hard to put down.
One person found this helpful
on 5 October 2017
A wonderful read. Another thought provoking read into how a child copes with abuse.
on 17 August 2016
Great book from start to finish. Great work foster carers do. I recommend this book to everyone who cares what happens to children who are abused