Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 October 2014
I love the story, though i wish to know more details about what happened to the parents (as i love true crime story genre as well). I used to think i might want to foster one day but this story puts me off, only super brave and kind person like the author can stand it really. A new respect to selfless foster parents everywhere. This is really a very fascinating account. Well written. Hard to put down.
on 12 June 2014
This book has some very sad content, but the foster carer helps this child out of her world of pain. I could not put this book down. It makes feel good that there are brilliant carers out there who help these children. The book also gives an insight into the care system. If you like Cathy Glass and Casey Watson books, this will appeal to you.
on 7 December 2014
THIS IS ONE OF THOSE BOOKS THAT REALLY TELL MAN'S INHUMANITY TO MAN. BUT IT IS MADE EVEN WORSE AS THE RECEIPIENT IS A CHILD. ROSIE HAS THE PATIENCE OF A SAINT COMBINED WITH THE ABILITY TO REALISE THE UNDERLYING PROBLEMS, AND THE ABILITY TO GAIN THE CHILD'S CONFIDENCE LEADING TO THE TRUTH BEING TOLD.
I HAVE GREAT REGARD FOR ROSIE AND OTHERS LIKE HER, I CERTAINLY COULDN'T TAKE ON WHAT AT TIMES IS AN HORRIFIC REALLITY.
on 12 March 2015
I read this book with some anxiety knowing something horrific was about to come to light and of course it did , I don't know how a parent could be so horrifically abusive towards there own child but as Rosie explains through her sheer determination and willingness to help the poor child things can only get better , excellent read.
on 30 June 2014
Five stars because I was given the opportunity to read the first ten chapters for free. What the girl must have endured makes it easier to understand the way she acted. The authors’/foster carers’ recognition of the subtle tell-tale signs & what she did to protect her from going through it again. Its quite emotional & the ending (even though it’s not the end) is a happy one. I’d recommend it to someone doing social studies for obvious reasons.
on 2 March 2014
I've read many books written by UK foster carers such as Cathy Glass and Casey Watson so I've been looking forward to reading the first full length book by Rosie Lewis. It didn't disappoint. This is the story of a 8 year old girl, Phoebe who has been removed from her middle class home and placed with Rosie. Phoebe has been diagnosed with Autism however as Rosie builds a relationship with her she starts to wonder whether this is a correct diagnoses or whether she is carrying a dark secret.

I gave this book five stars because it is an excellent debut and also gives a very well rounded insight into the world of fostering. Rosie doesn't shy away from being honest of how she felt in certain situations. Sometimes when I read Foster caring books the carer can come across as a super woman but because they never say how the stress of dealing with a troubled child impacts their health or emotional wellbeing.This wasn't the case with Rosie, and it made for an excellent read.

There are certain authors that I regularly check for new or forthcoming book releases. Rosie Lewis will definitely be added to this list.
on 4 March 2014
Such a good book rosie is a foster mum in the same vein as cathy glass , whose books are always a little to twee with her perfect life kids , and casey Watson who tells it like it is. This book made me laugh as well as a almost cry in parts l o ok forward to the next book
on 16 March 2015
I read this book in a day, very well written. It does tell a sad story about a little girl, but thank goodness for all the foster carers out there, who help children put the dark times in the past, and give them the courage and love to speak out.
on 4 March 2016
This book is amazing in the way that it is an actual truth of what it is really like to be foster carer. I am a foster carer and I could relate to so many things in this book. I have never had a placement as extreme as this where the abuse was so bad. It's good to hear about someone else's experience in case it is something I am faced with in the future. One part of fostering that really gets to me is that when the child comes into care filthy with no clean clothes and then you get to contact and the parents who neglected them have the cheek to complain that they have a bit of ice cream on their child's face and then you as the carer are then treated like a criminal and get a telling off from the social worker, WTF are you serious. It's no wonder a lot of the people I know have given up fostering the parents get away with so much and everything the foster carer does is scrutinised, sorry rant over. Read this book it's a must!
on 10 March 2014
One of the best books I've read for a while. I agree with one of the others on the comments as good as Cathy Glass is she really need to step up her game with the likes of Rosie and CASEY doing AMAZING books. Well done Rosie look forward to your next book. JENNY