on 19 January 2013
We love playing scrabble especially at Christmas and other family gatherings as the game is timeless. However, old cheating habits die hard and so last Christmas I thought to buy the biggest cheat a Scrabble dictionary for her stocking so there could be no more disputes on words! When she opened it I could see a little disappointment, but when the Scrabble board came out, it in fact gave her heaps of pleasure checking on the others so they didn't get away with anything and in fact it actually worked in her favour although I would also recommend not letting one person hang on to the book as there is a tendency to quickly look for other words when you should just be looking up the one! I would add she is 30 and a teacher and still tries to pull peculiar words out of the air to try and fool us!

This is actually a really good and useful dictionary in itself anyway, but the array of 2 letter words and some help on how to get the most out of the game without necessarily creating large words to win, was also invaluable. Highly recommended if only to have less fraught family games in the future! Bargain price too!
on 8 January 2014
My sister and I are scrabble crazy and the content of book brilliant. However something seriously needs to be done to quality of these books. We are adults but however careful we are with these books they fall to pieces. I would love you to see all our books - they're all cellotaped - I presume we are meant to use them.
22 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 November 2013
Received our original as a gift from someone who thought we would never use it. It swiftly became indispensable - though as we get older we need reading glasses for the text. It is a paperback and the pages are at the lower end of the quality scale so it got pretty raggy through everyday use even though we are light-handed with books generally. When a glass of beer got spilled over it we decided it was time for a new one. This is it: no hesitation in buying a direct replacement. Not only are the words there but also a brief definition, which you don`t get in all Scrabble dictionaries. Plurals are given, and adjectives - and there are many that raise our eyebrows, believe me! We don`t take it on holiday as it is bulky and I suppose that is when we play our purest Scrabble, but at home it is an integral part of the set. PS We dried out the original beer-soaked one and still use that, too, so now we`ve got one each but it won`t last much longer!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 March 2014
Very good as both a dictionary and for playing scrabble. Amazed at the new words now accepted in the game. Very necessary book to have. My only complaint is that l expected and hoped that all the two letter words would be listed separately. They were not, so l went through the book to make my own list of over 100.
Highly recommend.
on 2 February 2016
Great companion book for anyone who loves to play scrabble and for those that have really competitive games with friends/family where unsual words become the norm. The dictionary covers all words that are playable in Scrabble, although does not provide meanings for them.
on 4 April 2014
This is an essential piece of Scrabble equipment.

It's a quick way to verify words during a game. Also if you want to improve your game you can peruse this to quickly learn some very useful unusual two letter words etc to boost your score. (The format of this book lends itself to this task more so than a traditional dictionary format.)

Its most useful function is obviously to dismiss the most ridiculous fabricated words in the closing stages of a game of Scrabble!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 July 2014
This is a very comprehensive dictionary with masses of new words and with definitions too! Great - just one complaint (as many have stated already) - it lacks the addition at the back of 2 and 3 letter words which was so very useful in the old dictionary.

Can any updated version please include listings of 2 and 3 letter words in a separate section? please??
on 17 February 2014
This book is good and fun for scrabble use, but is also to my surprise, rather a good dictionary with short, pithy definitions. I tend to reach for it first now. An unexpected bonus.
on 17 July 2011
With the Scrabble Dictionary, there can be no question now about whether a word is allowed - and if like us you've been playing with a 25 year old English dictionary, that alone justifies the purchase of this book. Especially good for some of those two-letter words that we have argued over for ages, an amazing number of Q words that don't need a U, finally settling arguments about months and days, and up to date with words like EMAIL and GOOGLE. Some reviewers have commented on the text size, but it is manageable if you are just beginning to struggle without reading glasses. What you will need to source elsewhere, and agree on for your games, are your rules for when the dictionary is available to players - will you let a player browse during their go (fishing), if so for how long, or will you say no fishing, but players can check words when it is not their go (better - no delays caused). Or will you just use the dictionary to challenge played words? Then you'll need to agree on the challenge rules and pentalties too.
on 12 December 2010
Ok, so it's for scrabble so its only got words between 2-9 letters long. It also gives a description though they are very short and if a word is known as a proper noun but it has a different meaning which makes it acceptable in scrabble then it will only give this one. Good thing is that it gives plurals and 'ing' words so you don't have to work these things out for yourself if you're unsure. It could do more like give a list of all the 2 letter words for example but then again, it is a dictionary.