Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 January 2017
I’m not really sure how, but after watching Poirot for a number of years on the TV I managed to never see Murder on the Orient Express, this at least meant that the plot was fresh to me and no surprises ruined. I have only read a few Agatha Christie and she is still an author I am beginning to discover.

Most of the action takes place in the same place, aboard the Orient Express with a Poirot being asked to look into the murder of an American Tycoon. One by one he interrogates each passenger on the train and in true Christie style he discovers that the majority have a motive and a hidden past. We see the little grey cells at work and soon he begins to see through the acts and subterfuges, eventually cumulating in one of his famous suspect get together, where the truth is ousted.

This was a strange book, because two thirds of the way through I thought I had it all sewn up and really thought that the plot was a bit ridiculous and Christie had used the ‘coincidence’ card a little too much, but when the ending came I realised just how brilliant the plot actually was. Definitely worth a look whether you are a fan of Christie or not and what better place to start than probably her most famous novel.
One of my all time favourite Agatha Christie novels (also a favourite in audio version and film). Atmospheric and perfectly plotted. The enigmatic Poirot aboard the Orient Express (what could possibly be a better, more heavenly combination!) - no relaxing sojourn for him! Technically brilliant, M.Poirot tackles each passenger involved, in turn, in an effort to find the truth. In wonderful form, he solves the crime with a magnificent denouement. A varied bunch of characters - some gloriously over the top. You will be transported back to the Golden Age and it's not to be missed. Each time I read this novel I'm there..on That Train! (Do try the BBC dramatised audio book too if able, it's atmospherically stunning and extremely well performed). A must for your collection.
on 16 March 2017
Having just read Poirot by David Suchet I thought I would give one of the books a go. It wasn't a bad read and I spent the entire thing imagining Poirot as David Suchet which wasn't a bad thing. Apparently all the clues are in the books you just have to be savvy enough to spot them... which of course I didn't really but I did enjoy the read. Set on the Orient Express obviously I then googled trips on the Orient Express and nearly fainted at the price ! Good read and if you haven't read any Poirot it's a good one to start with.
on 21 August 2017
I read this because it was a Kindle daily deal (can't beat a 99p book) and because people reviewed it saying "if you've never read an Agatha Christie novel, this is a good place to start" - Agatha Christie is a famous name in crime novels, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. All throughout the book I was picturing David Suchet as Poirot - it was hard not to!

It was an interesting read. Having never seen Murder on the Orient Express I had no idea whodunnit and so the whole case was a mystery to me. I enjoyed the way Agatha Christie wove the tale, creating links between characters slowly until the ending - which was a surprise, and I'm still not sure if I'm happy with it.

The writing was easy to follow, which was a surprise to me considering it was written in 1934, it reads like present day language! The only clues you have that it's an older book are countries mentioned that no longer exist, e.g. Yugoslavia. It was very easy to read and overall a very enjoyable novel.

I'd recommend it to people who like watching shows like Sherlock and Jonathan Creek, you know the type of shows - where links only become apparent when the main character explains why they're apparent - you wouldn't have thought it a link otherwise.

It's a good book to get lost in for a few hours, and I'll be looking at getting other Agatha Christie novels in the future. This one has definitely stood the test of time.
on 3 October 2012
Murder on the Orient Express is THE book by Agatha Christie that everybody (even those who don't or even can't read) has heard of. It is by far her most famous and most probably the most read of her works.

I went in with high expectations due to the fanfare that followed this title. I fully expected to be disappointed to a degree, but can honestly say that I was not. The novel forever had me questioning how such a crime could be carried out under the circumstances that were laid before the great Hercule Poirot. Blissfully, I had never read this and had seen none of the tv adaptations of the Poirot novels. So I came into this as a blank slate and was scratching my head looking for an answer throughout.

Personally I believe that Murder on the Orient Express deserves its fame and the large readership that it has gained. If you have yet to buy this book, I hope my review has gone some way in persuading you open your wallet and flex your debit card.
VINE VOICEon 21 January 2011
You are on one of the most famous trains in the world, on one of its original routes when it hits a snowdrift - what do you do? You throw in a dead body and the world's most famous Belgian detective and you have `Murder on the Orient Express'.

This is one of Agatha Christie's finest stories featuring Hercule Poirot. After the first night aboard the Orient Express, the passengers wake up to learn one of them has been murdered, stabbed twelve times in rather curious fashion. Poirot is asked by the director of the company to investigate what has happened and find out the truth. The twelve other passengers do not know each other, but do they know the victim? Poirot endeavours to find out the truth and uses his charm, wit and `little grey cells' to discover it. Christie cleverly separate the book into three parts the facts, the evidence and where Poirot "thinks" this breaks the book down into not just manageable parts for reading but concentrates the reader on each possible suspect presenting everything. Poirot then brings us all together to come to the conclusion.

Much has been written about this novel over the years and on reviews, and I have tried to stay away from plot etc because I think it would be all too easy to inadvertently let the potential reader find out the truth before the famous dénouement . Which Agatha Christie is ultimately in my eyes famous for. The point where all those loose ends, red herrings and snippets of information are brought together. The interesting thing is, the clues are throughout the book and are there for the reader to pick up and decipher.

If you have never picked up a Christie before, and want to experience what perhaps all the fuss is about, then this is an excellent book to start. I would recommend the Agatha Christie's Poirot - Collection 8 [DVD] [2010] version for a visual that is true to the book. The ending is the same, but the only criticism (of the television version) is that it is made more moralistic then perhaps the book comes across.
on 9 August 2017
Really enjoyed this book - my first experience of an Agatha Christie story. Good writing, an excellent plot, some interesting characters - particularly, of course the main man himself. There was even some humour - which I wasn't expecting and was most welcome. Best of all, in a whodunnit, the book maintained the suspense to the end.
on 5 May 2015
This is one of my favourite Christie books (and I have read everyone she wrote) along with 'Murder in Mesopatamia' and 'The Sittaford Mystery'. In 'The Orient Express', Poirot is at his best -brilliant but humane. The characters are well portrayed, and the plot...well, it maybe needs a little suspension of reality, but it's non the worse for that. One i return to time and again for a light read (even though I know who did it...it wasn't the butler!).
on 29 January 2016
with Agatha Christie's Poirot or Miss Marple, it doesn't matter if you have watched an adaptation of it on the TV beforehand. they are all still magnificent to read and just as gripping.

the complexity of this novel makes it brilliant as there are is a variety of characters to consider, all confined in a small place (as with And Then There Were None). the plot thickens as the story unfolds with a typical Christie twist at the end.

don't want to give much away, but it is definately worth the read, as are all her novels.
I have recently read the novel and thoroughly enjoyed the story and the characters brought to the page by Agatha Christie. I had already bought the radio serial starring John Moffatt as M Poirot and wanted to listen to it after reading the book. I have found the dramatisation to be very true to the original and the actors brought to life the whole story. This production was broadcast as a serial and is now cleverly edited to play across 2 CDs. The sound effects create an era long gone and the atmosphere lifted from the page by John Moffatt who played the role so many times on radio. Listen out for Andre Maranne; Sylvia Syms; Francesca Annis; Sian Phillips; Desmond Llewelyn & Joss Ackland. This really is the classic Agatha Christie mystery and if you were to buy just one of these productions then this would have to be it.