on 18 December 2017
This book is fabulous...and the price was incredible...Nigel Slater writes the same as he speaks ...the recipes are nice and mainly easy...I love it.
on 30 May 2016
Love this little book, the day I received it I used it for dinner that evening. Easy and encouraging to use as every recipe has a simple list of ingredients. I've taken it out with me on occasions so I can decide what to have that day, then pick up what's needed. So far what I've chosen to cook has been a success. I will collect the rest from Nigel's series. If you haven't got it add it to your collection asap!!
on 3 January 2015
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book! I've used a few of Nigel Slater's recipes in the past, online. It was after visiting a friend who had a copy of this book I thought I'd go ahead and try it.
This is one of the best laid out cookery books I've ever used. I'm a bit of a foodie so I have quite a collection of cookery books, British and American from the 1920s forward.
I love how the ingredient list is very simply laid out and the methods are straightforward. Nigel seems to assume the reader has a clue, which I like. I've been out all day and had very little energy. I had all of the 5 ingredients for this recipe so this was tea!

The recipes are simple and delicious. I have a 2 year old. I made the sausage balls in mustard cream sauce. She was literally grabbing two handfuls of the pasta I served it over (at her request) and SHOVING it into her mouth. She wolfed it down!
I sat down after, and it was absolutely scrummy. Really delicious. Not too rich, very balanced. I can see it on rotation on our table. Can't wait to try more and more! I'm now looking at order more of Mr Slater's books. I'm one happy camper :D
on 29 December 2013
This is a wonderful book for anyone who likes real food and I love everything about it - the feel of the book, the format which is geared so nicely around individual ingredients, the quality of the photos and, most of all, Nigel Slater's sumptuous writing.

As the wrapper indicates, it's not so much a recipe book as an ideas book, suggesting ways of using great ingredients in order to get the most out of them. It is easy to get into a rut when it comes to everyday food and I love browsing through this book and getting inspiration for something a bit different, without having to work through sometimes long and laborious recipes. Because of this, I am finding this book works for me in a way which others have not.

I have bought a lot of recipe books over the years, many of which have ended up at charity shops because they have not ended up being useful enough for me to keep. The books I have kept tend to be ones which stay on a shelf and only get delved into for special recipes etc, rather than everyday fare. Not this gem of a book, which I can see staying close at hand and inspiring me day after day.
on 20 January 2016
Excellent little book. Recipes have few ingredients so you're not put off. Sensible ideas eg Use good quality sausages, remove contents from skin and make meatballs. Also suggestions alongside recipes for adapting them. Love it. Recommended by a male friend who cooked a delicious meal for self and husband. Have already slung a lot of my other cookery books to make way for this!
on 4 November 2013
No a book about the Fast food so many are eating and suffering because of it. This is a great book by someone who knows about food and does not like to waste it. He tells us how to use what we have and helps us to use our imagination a bit more. This is truly great cook book and one that all students should start with. By students I mean not only those going off to Uni for the first time but also trainee cooks. Get their imagination going a bit more. The one thing I do not like about it is the presentation of the book. It will not stay open at the appropriate page without a lot of persuasion nevertheless a must have book.
on 8 October 2015
I love this book I don't own many cookery books but I'm very glad I bought this one. The recipes are straight forward, don't have huge lists of things you need and the methods are written in a way that is really easy to remember as you are cooking away. I have made quite a few things already and been very happy with the results, and as they are mostly for two people just great for us but can easily be doubled up for more servings.
on 11 June 2016
Great.... Its just a great book. Ive tried perhaps half a dozen of the recipes now and they've all been simple to prepare and very tasty. Just had the Chorizo and Mozzarella ciabatta.... to die for!

The book itself is also a thing of beauty as it is canvas covered yet still flexible. The photos of food as alluring as all modern cookery books these days but the writing style is fun and light and its very easy to scan through and enjoy even when your not searching for a lunchtime treat. A very tactile object..... and full of great recipes too! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on 4 June 2014
This has become the only cook book I use! I'm a huge fan of Nigel Slater but this is my faveourite book of his so far. Everything I've made has been delicious and easy and I love that there are never too many ingredients and everything is easy to get, great everyday book.

My only very small niggles (which are very small considering how much I've used and like this book!) are that there are almost too many recipes - 600 can be a bit daunting. Also the contents at the start is pretty bad, it seems quite random what's included and so far nothing has been where I expect it to be. The way the books written you have to read the whole recipe to make sure you're getting all the ingredients. Also there are lots if directions like simmer until cooked with no clue if that's 5 minutes or 30, but not really an issue if you cook a bit. Despite these small niggles it really is a great everyday cookbook.
on 27 March 2018
I have many of Nigel's books, from when he wrote for Marie Claire in the 80's until now. He is an ingredients man, always experimental. You either get this or you don't. He cooks from what he has in his larder, garden or fridge, and this is the whole point - he gives you ideas. If you expect a rigid rfecipe you will be disappointed - that is not what our Nige is all about. He suggests variations, so you end up with sometyhing uttely wonderful and tasty, even if you do not have one specific ingredient, it will work. Thank you as always, Nigel!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse