VINE VOICEon 27 December 2013
Although this book is billed as 'the official companion to all four series', it seems to be very much geared to the latest series only. The chapters on all of the beautiful costumes and scenery seem to feature only the post-WWI episodes, which is a shame. I purchased this for my daughter, who is a very keen Downton fan (I have never watched an episode!), and I was keen to look through and see the various changes in fashions, but was disappointed to only see the latest fashions. When I tried to find other books to cover the other series, I didn't have any luck. Such a shame.
on 15 September 2014
Bought as a gift, and it's something I'd buy again. It's intended for fans of the TV show obviously, but it's great for anyone with a passing interest in the period.

There's some detail about the behind the scenes of the show, and nice pictures of things that look odd as you never see them from this side of the camera - fascinating though.

Biggest plus point is the pictures - there are lots of them and very good quality too.

Recommended
on 7 October 2013
A lovely book with great pictures.....Lady Mary looks lovelier than ever lol Purchased this on 1st October when Amazon were selling it at £3.49....what a bargain. Would still buy at full price. Nice inside stories too.
on 30 November 2013
Bought for a fan of the series, this book is lovely. Goes behind the scenes at downton abbey. Great detail and beautiful pictures. Even though I have never watched the show, I enjoyed looking through the book, so much work goes into getting everything perfect. This book would make any fan happy
on 16 February 2016
Great book. I have not read it yet because it is a new purchase. I have finally completed the trilogy of the first three companion books! Here some pictures for you to see! Enjoy!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 2 February 2014
My mother is a great fan of Downton Abbey, so I bought this as a companion item to the series. As someone who has always been intrigued by 'backstage' life, I skimmed over the book myself and found the text very informative. The accompanying photos, too, add to the feeling that you are 'on-set' during filming, whether at Highclere or, for the servants' quarters and bedroom scenes, in the studio.
on 25 March 2016
Bought this as a present but it looks a like a well illustrated book and to be honest most people are only really interested in the pictures and it certainly seemed to have plenty of them. Great price too
on 22 November 2013
This makes a wonderful addition to my collection of Downton Abbey books.Looks lovely on my coffee table!!!!The book it's self is brilliant collection of behind the scenes photo's and information on Downton Abbey,which is superbly put together to make it an interesting read.
This is a must have especially if you love Downton as much as I do and at such a great price!!!!
on 28 December 2013
Lovely book, with some gorgeous photos that have been well-thought out. I am in the TV industry myself, but I still found the pages about behind the scenes filming techniques interesting and informative. The pages about the dresses and make up were really interesting. It's a lovely book for a gift for the Downton fan.
on 4 December 2016
Nice book for 4th series with photos behind the scene and some interesting but mostly forgettable text