on 2 April 2017
Another great sketch book! characters and the drawings are pretty amazing! it feels like it taking you back from the very begining of the story and let you see the ideal world of the lord of the rings behind the character and the scenery!
This is written exellantly there is a lot of hype at the moment around the hobbit but I remember my father always telling me as a young child always read the hook first then watch the film I am so glad I did I now base the hobbit on j r r Tolkien not by Peter Jackson and Hollywood I really enjoyed this read not to long jot to short just right the way Tolkien builds the story up it's levels the way each character is discribed in detail I could not put it down it was completely mesmerising highly recommended.
on 23 February 2016
Wonderful sketches by a master artist. It is also the story of the artistic process of making LOTR where Lee must have had to draw lightning fast, at a moment's notice when the production team wanted to go in close on some small device or area of a room/town/world! Terrific imagination and innovation, but he shares the limelight by naming his collaborators who brought his sketches to life on the big screen.
on 10 May 2017
I've read this a number of times before but I always find it hard to put down. If you've only watched the films you may find some differences but be advised, however good the film is, the book is much, much, much better.
on 6 June 2013
For all the controversy over the films, it is great to pick the book up again, and read it. I haven't read it in years, but it is as fresh as when I first read it as a child. Compared to The Lord of the Rings, it is much simpler and less detailed. This is no bad thing, just different. I haven't yet seen the first Hobbit film, but it is easy to see how the story can be padded out, as much detail is left to the imagination - as it should be in good fiction. This is a book for all ages, and the perfect introduction to Tolkien.
on 12 July 2014
One of my all time favourites - the prequel to The Lord of the Rings explains how the ring made its way to The Shire. The perfect fantasy adventure complete with hobbits, trolls, goblins, dwarves, elves, mountain tunnels, raging rivers, a dragon, even some humour, and of course - Gollum and Gandalf the Wizard. A classic that should be read by any fantasy lover...even if it is now shorter than the three films they've managed to eke out of it!
on 9 June 2017
This is to replace a copy of this great work to which I no longer have access. I am about half way through and am just as entertained as I was the first few times I read it. The book itself seems well constructed and the spine is holding out so far. How it will perform over the years, time will tell.
on 30 May 2017
Read and read again my hard copy is falling apart so I read a great book again on iPad thanks to kindle.
A truly great writer because I could not and will not stop reading he's work.
on 12 April 2016
Love this book. Constantly pick it up to look at the sketches, some of which are incredible. The paragraphs by Alan Lee that accompany the sketches are excellent too and give nice insight into the work and his time working on LOTR. Would highly recommend to any Tolkien and art fan.
And then over a decade later I pick up this little sweet spot of a book and cannot wait to get back to reading it again [I have a backlog of reading to do including LOTR, Silmarillion and others] Make sure you buy the Enhanced Edition of the Kindle book as it has a little more at the beginning of the book which is worth reading as a little background of how the book came to be.