Customer reviews

Homeland (Homeland Prequel 1)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 September 2013
In a word? Awesome. If you love the hit show HOMELAND from Showtime, you'll love this book. It is so true to character, you'll think you're watching the prequel episode. Absolutely wonderful, thrilling, edge-of-your seat exciting. A great read to keep you going in between seasons. I hope and look forward to more Homeland titles from this author!
on 17 November 2014
Maybe I should have read the book before I saw the series as it seems to me it covers exactly the same ground. I'm afraid I gave up less then half way through.
on 20 January 2015
Overall it's a very good story true to the show. Have a small problem with a few details that will only be evident to the die hard fans. Small details such as Carrie's name its Carrie-Ann not Carrie that Is short for Caroline. Her mother's name is recorded as Emma in the book but in the latest season 4 her mother's name is Ellen Mathison. Bearing in mind this book was written before the release of season 4 but some additional research with the creators would've made the book that much more true to the show. Carrie in the book also seems a bit more ruthless and has less of a conscious in the book in terms of her actions. However it's definitely worth the read, gives more background to Carrie's past which they mention in the show and its great that Andrew has kept to that storyline.
on 9 December 2013
Well written and compelling, they really should make a TV series of this - oh sorry, they already have. No need to have seen Homeland to enjoy this book, an excellent thriller in its own right.

Homeland gives Carrie a brief Beirut ops background but with no detail. This fills it in. The book is really in two halves. First, espionage and murder in New York and Beirut, introducing Carrie, Saul and David Estes who appear in Homeland. This is a lively account of CIA involvement in foiling terrorist plots and tracking down their leaders. Then it moves to Iraq, just after Saddam's defeat and becomes much more military. The graphic portrayal of Iraq in the grip of almost anarchy and the way the Americans can only move in heavily defended convoys gives the lie to any story of gratefully liberated peoples. Then back to Beirut to tie up loose ends.

Got very confused with the different organisations in the Middle East, but having found the useful glossary at the back it shows just how confusing it is in real life. We tend to see Al Qaida as the only bogeyman, but thats just one of many groupings, who slaughter each other as eagerly as they do westerners. Cant say this book illuminated it much but it does show what a mess the whole place was in.
Overall, a really good read, maybe stretching credibility in places (dont all such novels?) but it ties up well and could well make its own series.
BE WARNED: there are two more 'books' listed on Amazon as parts 2 and 3 of this series. They are actually only repeat content from this volume - do not buy them
on 26 April 2014
I ploughed through this. Started hopefully, but then became bogged down bogged.. did I say bogged. A thriller without much thrill.
on 6 October 2013
This was a very gripping and well written book.it is the first time I have read any of Andrew Kaplan`s book.it was thoroughly enjoyable and I will be definitely reading more of his books.I thought the characterisation was very good indeed and it was really good to be able to read a book on the homeland tv series.
on 25 October 2013
A decent quick read, the characters fit in well enough with what we expect from the first two series of Homeland.

However it is let down by poor research, for example Carrie is using an iPhone in the spring of 2006, even though the first iPhone wasn't released until June 2007. Another example, Vietnam-era Huey helicopters evacuating casualties after a fire fight in Iraq? Unlikely given the vast number of Black Hawks in theatre at this time.

Just needed a picky proof reader I guess.
on 6 November 2013
I have watched and enjoyed Homeland on TV since the first series, but have often been quite confused as to what is going on, and who is who, mainly due to some of the actors not speaking too clearly. After reading this prequel at my own pace I can understand how it all came about. The list of characters and glossary at the end were very informative on the situation in the Middle East and a must to read before you start.I thoroughly enjoyed the fast moving pace of the novel and the flash backs to Carrie's earlier life brought it all life for me. All in all it was a tremendous read, I couldn't put it down.
on 14 October 2013
A good read but very complicated. I read it on Kindle and it wasn't until I had finished it did I find a 10 page alphabetic Glossary of terms/Abbreviations and Political organisationsfully explained!!. A lot easier to refer to in paperback format.
The story is well written and certainly the t.v. series has copied her character very well, you can certainly feel her troubles grow.
I cant give it 5 stars as I feel it wanders a bit in the middle and becomes confusing, but stick with it.
I have now started to read Andrew Kaplan's Scorpion series..Great so far !!
on 13 August 2015
Stumbled upon this little gem whilst looking for other books of this genre, really glad I found it! I loved the series, having seen it before reading the book it gave the characters that bit more depth. I could really visualise Carrie and Saul. The book previewed Carries youth which gave an insight to her discovering and trying to cope with bipolar. The book was clever and tense and it really sets things up nicely for the next Kaplan novel, Sauls Game. Even if you'd never seen the series this would be an exciting journey.