Customer reviews

Fat Chance: The Hidden Truth About Sugar, Obesity and Disease
Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 August 2017
I've done Weight Watchers 4 times, and always gained back all the weight I lost and more. I thought it was me and that I was a failure. No self-control, not enough workout, too much fat, not enough low fat food. I believed everything they kept telling me about why I could not keep my weight down.
Then I've read this book. What an eye-opener it was! If you want to lose weight and there's one book to read, go for this one. I have since stopped eating sugary and processed food and went low carb but high in healthy fats. I've lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks, without starving myself or being miserable.
on 21 February 2013
This book is one of the most important I've ever read, and I've been a GP for 34 years. I wish I'd known the stuff in here years ago, as all thru my career the official mantra has been "eat less fat, do more exercise" and, sadly I've repeated this message to many many patients. And yet the population is fatter, diabetes & metabolic syndrome have become epidemic and orthodox advice has clearly failed. This book tells you why - not all calories are equal, fructose (the villain) is a type of carbohydrate but is not metabolised as glucose and so causes damage, processed food is a disaster (sugar added to almost everything, the good stuff, eg. fibre, taken out). Yes, there's an American slant in the stories and background, but the issues raised are worldwide - wherever sugar intake has increased, obesity, diabetes, etc have rapidly followed, whatever the previous traditional diet was (high fat, low fat or whatever). I can't recommend the book highly enough and only hope the politicians, supermarkets, and food producers listen and act on its message. Assuming they won't, change your own life and those you influence by following its advice!
88 Comments| 353 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2017
This book may be a little dated now but its message is still urgently needed in the world today. It is full of science but is presented in a compelling and interesting way. I really couldn't put it down. Although I bought it on Kindle I value its message so much that I may buy some hard copies to give to friends and family!
on 12 April 2017
interesting, well set out, not difficult to read.
on 14 October 2017
great book
on 7 August 2014
Great book! Presents a very compelling case for looking at our food choices and a recognition of the challenges involved!
on 29 September 2017
its an ok read, a bit in depth for me but if you like that then its for you.
on 25 January 2013
well written on the dangers of sugar. good shopping list in it and a detailed list of 40 different names used for sugar on food labels - talk about hiding it! If your into mars bars then this book is not for you.
on 1 July 2016
Very interesting book giving great detail about the affect of the toxin sugar on your body. I did feel that maybe a degree in biology or chemistry would have been useful at times when reading this book and some of the information went straight over my head. However I had read David Gillespie Sweet Poison first, which is an easier read and wanted so medical back-up to that book.
The information is interesting and cutting out sugar does work, I have now lost 18 kilo and kept it off for over a year, but regardless of that I feel absolutely fantastic health wise. I will need to read this again at a leisurely pace and make notes.
on 17 August 2016
The book can be divided into two bits, one very interesting one that tackles the effects of excessive and unavoidable sugar on the human body and the other is the authors quest to declare sugar as a drug, at par with cocaine. I did thoroughly learn a lot about the detrimental affects of sugar on the human body but didn't get a lot out the final few chapters which were aimed at the US readers as it detailed the US governments laws dealing with food labels, farm commodities etc.