Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 February 2013
This book is one of the most important I've ever read, and I've been a GP for 34 years. I wish I'd known the stuff in here years ago, as all thru my career the official mantra has been "eat less fat, do more exercise" and, sadly I've repeated this message to many many patients. And yet the population is fatter, diabetes & metabolic syndrome have become epidemic and orthodox advice has clearly failed. This book tells you why - not all calories are equal, fructose (the villain) is a type of carbohydrate but is not metabolised as glucose and so causes damage, processed food is a disaster (sugar added to almost everything, the good stuff, eg. fibre, taken out). Yes, there's an American slant in the stories and background, but the issues raised are worldwide - wherever sugar intake has increased, obesity, diabetes, etc have rapidly followed, whatever the previous traditional diet was (high fat, low fat or whatever). I can't recommend the book highly enough and only hope the politicians, supermarkets, and food producers listen and act on its message. Assuming they won't, change your own life and those you influence by following its advice!
1010 Comments| 329 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 July 2013
Unlike 'Pure, White & Deadly' by John Yudkin, which spoke out but few at the time were listening, 'Fat Chance' has come at a time when many believe that existing diets are solely for the enrichment of a niche industry that wants to sell products for profit only and cares little about the individual. Therefore, a wider audience awaits this book and I believe it will have a long, successful publishing life.

Lustig's book will go down in history as a seminal book that opened people's eyes to the obvious, even though the obvious is often painful to believe, especially when one is a food manufacturer, which I am. Although at times Robert Lustig can get one bogged down in minute detail, the message is clear and proof is always at hand - critically important for the sceptics who will look to trash his theories.

This book has come at an opportune time and it must have felt something similar to this when it was discovered that the world was round and not flat. Disbelievers await in the wings to repudiate the arguments so clearly and lucidly explained from page one onwards but I was convinced long before I had reached page 100 and I think most readers will agree with me. This is a book that you have to read and it should become a number one best seller, just for its educational benefits.

The book has fascinated me so much that not only have I tried out a reduction in sugar intake personally and seen a subsequent loss in weight but I have manufactured a natural, sugar free ice cream to launch onto the market to test the theories of this book. Since my business is a large user of sucrose, glucose and fructose, I feel that education is the only way to combat obesity and telling everyone to take more exercise just doesn't work. Most importantly, the use of aspartame, sorbitol and other chemical replacements are well documented in the book and it is clear that they don't work either.

The Holy Grail of weight loss and better health is here in this book and the bitter truth is that the enemy is only sugar. Lustig's explanations of the various diets on the market is illuminating and the common theme to all of them is a reduction of sugar, guaranteeing them all a chance of success without offering a panacea of continuing it after the diet has finished. Why? Because all of us go back to consuming sugar again without understanding that it is the one item we need to avoid.

In my mind this book will change the way many food manufacturers look at their products and I expect others will follow my example of allowing greater consumer choice with new products containing little or no sugar, not just for the diabetics but for everyone else who wishes to control their sugar intake and yet enjoy wholesome food. The sugar industry will hate it but then the tobacco industry fought a rearguard action for decades and look at it now. Just buy this book and decide for yourself.

Alastair Jessel, Taywell Ice Creams
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2013
I've just sat in a cafe and pretty much binged on Robert Lustig's wonderful book "Fat Chance" about what's gone wrong with our diet, why we overeat, why we don't stop no matter how many government initiatives tell us to. It answers so many questions - why do diets make people with at least three months' energy storage around their gut (me!) feel sick and faint and depressed and as if they're starving to death? Why doesn't exercise always work the way it's supposed to? Why does eating one chocolate lead inevitably to finishing the box? (me again!) I've read an awful lot of books on diet and nutrition (guess why?) This is by far the best of the lot - clear and scientifically rigorous and even funny in places.
The answer to the questions? Basically the villain of the piece, the Voldemort of nutrition, the heroin of foodstuffs is... Sugar. Not fat as everyone has wrongly said for the last fifty years, but sugar, in particular fructose which acts like both sugar and fat in the liver and stuffs it up something dreadful. Hence metabolic syndrome, of which obesity is just one symptom, along with high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, cancer, possibly dementia - oh, and death.
As it's blatantly obvious what I should do, I have come off the sugar again. Wish me luck, chaps.
1212 Comments| 217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2012
In this book Dr. Lustig shares crucial, science-backed knowledge about our bodies, our food environment, and threats to our health from processed foods and added sugar. Everyone, especially our policymakers, should read this book. It takes a big picture look at various factors affecting the human body in our modern industrialized world, from governmental regulation to the biochemistry of metabolism.
Thank you, Dr. Lustig, for giving the world this book.
on 5 March 2013
After reading this book i decided to do a little experiment on myself. I have reduced all my sugar intake, letting myself a slice of cake just on weekend, and after 2weeks i could see huge progress in my body - my cellulite from my legs is nearly gone, im more happy and feel healthier. Im happy this sort of book exist - i wish more people could read it and reduce that white poison from their food!
on 11 June 2013
When I first read this book (hardback version purchased in January), I was obese with a whole host of associated health problems. I followed the "personal solutions" in part V, and now, just 6 months later, I am no longer obese. Although I am of course, delighted with my weight loss (which has stayed off), I am even more happy of the other positive health benefits - i am not lying when i say ALL of my obesity health related problems have gone. I could write a very lengthy review about how Dr Lustig's book has changed my life (and that of my 3 young children and husband) for the better, but I do not wish to bore people. Suffice to say, that I recommend this book to all readers, especially to those who have struggled with their weight problems and to those who are worried about their children's health and well being.

There's little chance that i will ever have to pleasure to meet Dr Lustig and his colleagues in person, so if they are reading this review, I would like to give them my heartfelt thanks for writing this book. Thank you! From Laura and family.
on 25 January 2013
well written on the dangers of sugar. good shopping list in it and a detailed list of 40 different names used for sugar on food labels - talk about hiding it! If your into mars bars then this book is not for you.
on 8 February 2013
A fascinating and worrying insight into the addictive and dangerous sweet stuff. Made me look at the family diet in a different way.
on 20 June 2014
It seem that the big advice we are given by our wise experts is not preventing 'diabesity' - it is causing it!. Lustig's book is a wise voyage through the choppy waters of vested interest and greed (corporations seem to need to be psychopathic to succeed). He carefully unravels the science too and copiously references his assertions - so you can check if you want. For anyone interested in the new thinking of what to eat, and perhaps more importantly what NOT to eat, Lustig's book will be enlightening. To quote him 'It's about the Insulin; stupid'. Ps, the frucked word relates of course to fructose the sugar that is also a bit like a fat. Pps try getting frucked and fructose past Amazon's spellchecker. Not easy.
on 13 January 2013
A minor word of warning - this book is American. Two chapters concern themselves with American issues and all the references to consumer products are American. Also the style is too enthusiastic in a uniquely American way. There's no need to be put off by these reservations. The book is readable, the advice seems to me to be sound, and even to a committed reader of this genre, there were revelations. The ground it covers has been gone over before but here we have a scientist (rather than a journalist) giving us the up-to-date research in a common sense way, and for those who want the endocrinological background, there's an abundance of that.