on 24 July 2014
Fantastic book for everyone from the casual TV viewer, through to experienced cycle tourists.
The mountains are grouped by range, with the major climbs in each range getting 2 full pages each, plus a number of lesser climbs in each range get about half a page each.
They're all here - Alpe d'Huez, Ventoux, Izoard, Telegraphe, Galibier, Madeleine, Colombier, Peyresourde. Tourmalet, Marie Blanque, Portet d'Aspet, Luz-Ardiden, etc, etc...
What to expect from each climb, how to tackle each one. Distances, heights and gradients... Local interest and tourism info. Plus classic 'Tour' folklore and titbits about each climb.
on 30 July 2009
This book is EXACTLY what I expected,I bought the book with a view of gaining knowledge of the different cols,it did that and more,I actually felt inspired into jumping on my bike,going out and climbing my local climbs in my surrounding area (and there are some in yorks),like a pro.
It also makes a great coffee table book,looks great and visitors to the house do pick it up and browse through it,even my friends who aren't into cycling but it gives me lots of kudos with my pals who are into cycling,4 of us are now in the process of booking a training session next year to the Pyrenees,after reading through it.
For any keen cyclist's it gives you a wide range of climbs on offer,not just the famous and frequent climbs used in the tour,some of the lesser known one's are fascinating,after reading it,you realise the Tour is THE greatest cycling event on earth.
on 14 December 2017
Excellent
on 9 March 2014
The problem with this book is that the publisher missed an opportunity by wasting lots of space, useless maps and poor indexing. It could have been so much better if the effort had been put in.
on 23 March 2015
Very well produced and ibnteresting. My son (preparing for the Étape) thought it was excellent coverage.
on 30 December 2015
Very pleased with the book.
on 6 November 2013
A really nicely laid out and very informative book on some of the great classic alpine climbs. Would have received a Five Stars if had included gradient profiles similar to Mountain Highs which is another great cycling book.
on 19 August 2015
Bought for hubby who is a keen cyclist. Been on a few organised hill climb cycling trips. This has given him food for thought. Has wanted to climb the tour routes.
on 1 January 2014
A really nice book to dream about climbing in the mountain, I would not say a guide as it is not a real guide more a coffee table book!
on 16 August 2013
A very useful and informative book that is well written and thought out. The only drawback is that the searchable index isn't and it took a long time for me to know where in the book I needed to be.