Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 7 May 2012
I'm a French teacher, and I bought this book for teaching children from about 5 upwards. There is no age given, but I think it is suitable for a wide range of ages. The songs are catchy and up-to-date, and children can learn a lot from listening to them, with or without the book. Of course, working through the activities is no guarantee that the children will have retained everything, but with young children I find you have to do a lot of fun activities and trust that some of it will stick.
on 21 July 2013
The songs alone, sung very tunefully and expressively by French children, in a range of musical styles, are worth getting this book for. I put this on in the car with no great expectations and within a few hours of driving on various trips my 8 year old was singing along to the songs, as was I! Before that she knew no French apart from Bonjour / Au revoir / merci Je m'appelle / a few colours. She now sings several of them all the time, with a beautiful accent (and also the Spanish version too as I quickly bought that as I was so impressed! ) .We haven't worked on the rest of the book much yet as I felt it best for her to continue to absorb the language through the rest of the songs, but the activities look good to me, as a qualified language teacher. I love the fact that the very first activity in the book is a song about a trip to the zoo where the child is introduced to the concept of words which look very similar but sound quite different in the foreign language. This immediately got my daughter listening very carefully to the sounds on the CD and then trying to match them. My daughter has already learned the basis for so much future language development eg the first song includes: excellent modelling of pronunciation, names of animals, use of perfect tense with être, perfect tense with avoir, question form ("Qu'as-tu vu?"), useful phrase: ("C'est tout?"). Another really charming song has the lyrics translated: I have a little kitten/He is so sweet/ He chases mice / Little kitten / Where are you? / Miaow Miaow/ I am under the bed. It continues with other activities the kitten does (I don't think those are translated) and the prepositions on / in the bed and ends with Ssssssh, I'm sleeping, so again LOADS of helpful language. Another very jazzy and catchy song has the days of the week with different activities eg Lundi je fais de la musique, so as well as the days of the week and useful vocal the child is learning the use of the present tense for everyday actions. I cannot recommend it too highly.
33 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 August 2009
I bought Book 1 and Book 2 for my 3 children aged 7,9 and 11. Book 1 has great music on the CD which has helped my 3 learn so much French. The layouts and illustrations of the book are excellent and my children have loved them. I have worked through the books with the children to help them get the most out of the books but I have enjoyed the process and the music. Book 2 is a definite step up and is very good for covering quite a lot of french that will be learnt at the start of secondary school, again very good illustrations and topics. The CD has less music and more listening activities for the kids to do along with the book.

Rose McNab the author also writes the school french textbooks called Metro which are used in a lot of secondary schools and looking at the French Club books and Metro there are a lot of similarities so I feel the books are preparing my 11 year old well for French at secondary school.
on 10 March 2011
I love this French book. My 7 year old has really enjoyed listening to the CD and learning the catchy songs. These link to the book helping to bring it to life. The subjects that are covered are interesting and it is a good level for someone new to french.
on 11 April 2016
This colourful and funkily illustrated book presents the French language to young learner, both in an interactive and structured way that meets the needs of all learning styles.
The CD, with wonderful French children talking and singing appeals to the learners straight away and engages their curiosity to explore the book and to discover exciting stickers and creative activities. At every stage, the learner is invited to be a language detective, to discover how the French language is built and grammatical references are made in a simple and effective way in context with simple and clear explanations and playful exercises. I love its communicative approach, underlined by whole sentence analytical exploration and practice.
As a French teacher I will use this book in after-school clubs and during my primary school lessons as well as recommend it to parents as a holiday activity to sing along in the car with the whole family! I am certain that after finishing the first one, your children will beg you to get Book 2, by the same bestselling author Rosi McNab.
on 16 February 2012
I bought this for my son when he was 11 years old, and preparing to enter year 8, as I thought it would be good revision. However, it is one of those books for kids with a lot of things on the page, but not much to do with them. You can do the activities in about 5 minutes, but it doesn't mean you have learned very much. The CD was difficult to get into, because the French was far more advanced than what you find in the book, and impossible for him to follow. It would have been okay if there was as transcript of the material on the CD, but there isn't. I suppose if the parent knows a bit of French, they could help the child make sense of the CD.
44 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 October 2015
What would I have done without this book for my French club? It gives you ideas; even if you can't really expect the children to buy the book you can take the ideas and make your own resources. The songs are nice too and I regularly get the children dancing when I play them!
on 26 February 2012
My girl thinks this is the greatest learning book ever. She adores it and as she is learning french all by herself, I only translate the english for her, so that says alot. It is for children, no vocabulary about ordering coffee or getting around airports and finding hotels. Just kids stuff and it works for her. We also have book nr.2 and now I just hope there are more.
on 28 May 2013
This is a very well laid out book. Easy to use and fun also. My son loves it and it makes it alot easier to teach him french.
on 20 February 2015
This is a good book. I'm a french speaking and want to teach more my daughter of 3 years , and she loved it, especially activities with stickers and music.
I do recommend it