on 7 May 2012
I'm a French teacher, and I bought this book for teaching children from about 5 upwards. There is no age given, but I think it is suitable for a wide range of ages. The songs are catchy and up-to-date, and children can learn a lot from listening to them, with or without the book. Of course, working through the activities is no guarantee that the children will have retained everything, but with young children I find you have to do a lot of fun activities and trust that some of it will stick.
on 11 April 2016
This colourful and funkily illustrated book presents the French language to young learner, both in an interactive and structured way that meets the needs of all learning styles.
The CD, with wonderful French children talking and singing appeals to the learners straight away and engages their curiosity to explore the book and to discover exciting stickers and creative activities. At every stage, the learner is invited to be a language detective, to discover how the French language is built and grammatical references are made in a simple and effective way in context with simple and clear explanations and playful exercises. I love its communicative approach, underlined by whole sentence analytical exploration and practice.
As a French teacher I will use this book in after-school clubs and during my primary school lessons as well as recommend it to parents as a holiday activity to sing along in the car with the whole family! I am certain that after finishing the first one, your children will beg you to get Book 2, by the same bestselling author Rosi McNab.
on 1 October 2016
Great Granddaughter bonding in the car.
on 6 June 2016
Very boring book. Doesn't teach anything.
on 1 May 2017
Book in excellent condition.
on 4 February 2017
Great book for beginners
on 21 April 2017
It is very good book for beginners.
on 21 July 2013
The songs alone, sung very tunefully and expressively by French children, in a range of musical styles, are worth getting this book for. I put this on in the car with no great expectations and within a few hours of driving on various trips my 8 year old was singing along to the songs, as was I! Before that she knew no French apart from Bonjour / Au revoir / merci Je m'appelle / a few colours. She now sings several of them all the time, with a beautiful accent (and also the Spanish version too as I quickly bought that as I was so impressed! ) .We haven't worked on the rest of the book much yet as I felt it best for her to continue to absorb the language through the rest of the songs, but the activities look good to me, as a qualified language teacher. I love the fact that the very first activity in the book is a song about a trip to the zoo where the child is introduced to the concept of words which look very similar but sound quite different in the foreign language. This immediately got my daughter listening very carefully to the sounds on the CD and then trying to match them. My daughter has already learned the basis for so much future language development eg the first song includes: excellent modelling of pronunciation, names of animals, use of perfect tense with être, perfect tense with avoir, question form ("Qu'as-tu vu?"), useful phrase: ("C'est tout?"). Another really charming song has the lyrics translated: I have a little kitten/He is so sweet/ He chases mice / Little kitten / Where are you? / Miaow Miaow/ I am under the bed. It continues with other activities the kitten does (I don't think those are translated) and the prepositions on / in the bed and ends with Ssssssh, I'm sleeping, so again LOADS of helpful language. Another very jazzy and catchy song has the days of the week with different activities eg Lundi je fais de la musique, so as well as the days of the week and useful vocal the child is learning the use of the present tense for everyday actions. I cannot recommend it too highly.
33 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2016
The cd doesn't work
on 30 November 2014
Very good item, although its definetly for children with simple French skills as it is a bit too hard for my 5yr old as not starting with basics such as 'hello, how are you?' With then multiple answers ect.