Customer reviews

The Times Atlas of the World: Reference Edition (Times Atlases)
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 18 May 2014
I suppose I shouldn't have expected too much, as I was buying this to replace my rather out-of-date full size version, but some areas of the world are not very well represented, while others are well covered.
For instance, California, and the Great Lakes get large scale reproductions, but the whole of Argentina gets one tiny half page map, and Switzerland is virtually invisible with no detail whatsoever. France is also very poorly mapped. Maybe I was expecting too much for the price, but I do caution you that there isn't a huge amount of detail in many maps.
11 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 19 July 2013
Ok, so there are compromises in the smaller size, but my biggest grip is the number of pages devoted to the "space to earth" shots. Nice, but, really, nothing else they could have done? One feature I did especially like is the historical reference section. Do you remember the exact size of the USSR?
13 people found this helpful
on 31 July 2015
A very small scale and poorly represented mapping. The maps contain too much information on the scale that they are difficult to read. This for me was a bad and expensive purchase. The old version of a Phillips Atlas I own is although out of date a much better atlas. I would recommend trying to have a look at a selection before purchase.
on 16 August 2014
This does the job but the maps are very detailed and several countries are typically clustered together on one page. I bought it to replace a 20 year old Rand McNally book which has a single page and map for each and every country. I wish this one was just as clear. Of course we cannot ascertain such differences when buying over the net. Oh well.
3 people found this helpful
on 19 October 2015
I had an older edition of this atlas years ago so I knew what to expect and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I keep this new one near to my favourite chair so that I can find out where places are when I hear about them on the radio and television.
on 28 January 2014
Bought this to replace an old version. Unfortunately lacks the detail of the previous version. But considering the price is good value.
4 people found this helpful
on 22 November 2015
OK for the price - but I should have ordered a bigger one
on 19 August 2015
Excellent quality. Updated and a valuable addition to my reference section.
on 31 October 2014
Arrived v quickly & was in excellent condition. All I wanted!
on 30 November 2015