Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 May 2013
An absolutely brilliant read, if you've been a fan of Delito's blogs over at Gizmodo you'll love this book. A perfect mix of both old and new stories with more detail than ever, wholeheartedly recommended!
on 18 May 2016
We had a beautiful warm sunny day here yesterday, everyone out in summer clothing. (unusual in Scotland) everyone was out in summery clothing.
Later we drove past a school outside was a policeman in full uniform acting as "Crossing Patrol" I thought oh you poor sod.
This heat and that material.....
I've got a better understanding
on 17 October 2014
Not bad but I found the writing style a bit dreary in places. I also found some of it a bit implausible but not sure whether that was as a result of trying to hide locations and identities or whether there was a bit of poetic licence. Overall if you want a light read to pass a long journey or you are laid up ill, it's fine but if he brought out a second book I wouldn't bother
on 31 January 2014
I found this book very informative in many ways as I am part of the police force in that I do the typing for the officers. Though I know and understand how the police work, this book has helped me to understand their work even more. Their job these days is so stressful, they are not appreciated by the government let alone the public. I can only say what a fantastic read and nothing is exaggerated it happens like the author has explained. They are in danger every working day from one element or another. Hats off to the police officers everywhere.
on 13 May 2013
A proper insight to being on the job. None of the Hollywood crap - this is about real life, the good, the bad, the ugly, the funny and the damn right sad.
on 16 November 2014
A good read, insight into the world of a London copper with a balanced view of events, people and himself. An equitable dollop of humour and gravitas. Much like we all find day to day with a lot more riding on Matt's capacity to deal with the situations thrown at him daily and his decision making. A true mix of excitement, pathos and the daily rote. A joy.
on 20 August 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book and at many moments I was to be found laughing out loud! there are some parts to this that are hilarious and leaving you wondering at the sheer stupidity of some people and then there are parts that leave you wanting to wade in and help them, such as in the last chapter, or hug them, such as when the baby is mentioned from the wholly in denial mother. This book shows that the police really are doing more than just a job. The way this author paints the characters is rich and varied, he is able to bring to life the nuances of the people around him and show the many characters that make up his shift. He is also finally able to explain to me what I/C means as in I/C1 male etc. Always wanted to know! He has a sense of humour and realism, with a healthy dose of self deprecation plus a love for the job that makes him a valuable and believable eye witness to what our bobbies on the beat have to do (when not doing paper work). Well done Matt and I really would like to read the next one.
on 11 October 2014
Not bad but in parts I really do see him portraying the police in a stereotypical police officer manner of they're superior to all others! Apart from that a good read and often amusing especially if you have a dark sense of humour!
on 10 February 2014
Yes I have had a giggle but given up finding out what all the police codes refer too. Although you can use your imagination. Not finished it yet after three sessions with it. This speeks for itself as if I get a good book I dont want to put it down until I get too the end.
on 14 January 2014
Not very often I say this about a book, but it's true, I couldn't put this one down. Read it in a day and loved every second. If you're thinking about buying this book, then stop thinking and just buy it. It's funny, sad, gripping and gives you a real insight into the life of a copper on the ground.