Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 16 October 2013
Absolutely stunning. Easily one of my favourite books of the year. Paul Finch gives us a brutally graphic and intrinsically gripping story that is as good as any you will read. The attention Paul affords each character in the story gives the readers a real sense of the horror, despair and helplessness of what is happening. And it is brilliant for it.
on 2 August 2013
One of the best thrillers I've read for a long, long time. "Edge of the seat" stuff, wanted to keep reading until I found out who the perpetrators were.
Well written, very imaginative crimes, extremely thoroughly described, left me with tremendous sympathy for the victims and revulsion towards the killer(s). Very exciting climax. Looking out for his next book.
on 9 November 2013
DS Heckenburg is trying to solve several murders all connected by the fact they are happening on the day of a celebrated holiday. It's causing nationwide panic but can he solve the case and arrest the perpetrator/s before any more lives have been lost?

WOW! I loved this book, I loved the characters and I loved the fast-paced action. The book just keeps making you have to guess what will happen next and I found myself wanting to turn the page to find out what was going to happen next. I have to say I enjoyed the last quarter of the book more than the rest, but all was thoroughly enjoyable, as it had the most action and more suspense.

I found myself gasping out loud towards the end, I can assure you I got a few concerned stares from the people around me because of it, and I was feeling sorry for what poor Claire had to endure. I love Heck, he has to be my favourite character in the book, and his constant perseverance of wanting to solve the case even if it means risking his own life, his great love and support for his fellow colleagues and the way he tries to always show them the positive side of things is admirable.

The description of the action was just perfect, not too shallow but not overwhelming, just the right amount. Throughout the book I actually found certain parts slightly scary, like not nightmare scary but scary enough for a book. The intensity of it all was actually quite overwhelming but it was by no means a negative characteristic of the book.

The cliffhanger was done very well and now I can't wait until the next book comes out to find out what case Heck will have to solve next.

I would definitely recommend this series to anybody who ever asks me for a book recommendation!
on 3 January 2014
Gripping pace, well drawn and contrasting characters. Sergeant Heckenberg is as good a main character as Morse or Jane Tennyson. The Tv roots of the writer are evident in the fast pace and the dialog that constantly moves the plot forward. Excellent all round.
on 15 August 2013
As with Stalkers I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Despite the heinous acts contained in the story it was an excellent plot line, it gave me the same type of feeling when I read Messiah all those years ago, fast pace and quite dark especially being a woman but this is what makes it a good read and why I've given it 5 stars ,I really like Heckenburg as a character warts and all and am looking forward to February 2014 for the release of Hunted.
I'm not too convinced by this novel. It's too formulaic. The coppers are clichéd, the dialogue so busy being witty nothing meaningful develops while the huge emphasis on gore and carnage becomes little more than a distraction to divert attention away from the weaker elements of the plot.

Sacrifice is cleverly designed to keep the reader hooked with brooding, graphically written scenes of murder and general violence set against a 'band of brothers' type of background as the police chase the bad guy, fight amongst themselves, break every rule and yet retain their testosterone fuelled bond against the odds.

It's too contrived, too glib and reads more like a TV screenplay than a novel.

I'm leaving 3* because the scenes of police investigation are well handled while the authors experience in and around the police force shines through adding a much needed shot of reality to the plot.

There's always a place in the market for a fast paced police procedural but I'm not really a fan of this one and unwilling to leave a falsely positive review because it was a cheap download.
on 31 July 2013
Another fantastic story sublimely written. February cannot come fast enough for the third instalment.

If you like fast paced tales that deliver on both content and story you'll love this book. Like the first it is gripping, brilliantly told and really draws you in.

Another brilliant book from Paul Finch.
on 6 October 2013
Can I be the 365th person to review this book? Will anyone read it?
If ever a book screamed movie it is this one. Paul Finch's background as a scriptwriter for the Bill and horror movies, his other horror stories in the small press and elsewhere, his actual experience as a Police Officer all come together in this book.
Paul can do subtle, but this is "Cape Wrath" Paul Finch and not "All Hallows." There are some very visual shocks in the first half. Too extreme really for my tastes. I prefer it when we get into the realistic Police work - even if it is a bit too "Life on Mars" for today's standards. The finale however is gloriously dramatic and cinematic.
Who to play the parts?
Gemma - Amanda Redman or Tamzin Outhwaite - Too obvious?
Heck - Philip Glenister - Ken Stott? Perhaps Tom Cruise would like it
Claire - mmmmm....
This is good, but there is a better DS Heckenberg yet to come..
on 8 August 2013
This book was brilliant. Stalkers was good but this one is fantastic! Fast moving and keeps you hooked until the very last page. Read it you won't be disappointed!
on 8 September 2013
This is a really excellent 2nd book with 'Heck' as the central character. It is fast paced, exciting and hard to put down. make sure you have spare time to read it when starting as if you enjoy it as much as me you won't be able to put it down !