Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Paloma Faith Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

2,219
The Shock of the Fall
Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 October 2017
This novel is unlike anything I have ever read. There is a particular style to the writing which I got used to fairly quickly but it may not be to everyone's taste. The theme is a very ambitious one for a debut novel, any book writing about mental illness is going to be a challenge, but the author pulls it off. It tells the story of a boy and his struggles coming to terms with the death of his brother when they were both young kids, the guilt, helplessness and solitude of grief. For the author to write so authoritatively about psychiatric institutions reveals both his occupation before writing this novel and also a very obvious compassion when dealing with the challenges of metal illness.
on 19 October 2017
Chosen by my book group which pushed me into reading something I would never have done otherwise.
I can't honestly say I enjoyed it, it's not the easiest story to follow, but bizarrely I'm glad I read it.
I didn't feel I got to really know Matt & felt rather detached from him but I felt for Matt's parents who effectively lost 2 sons, one to his mental health problems & the other who died. Nanny Noo sounds like a treasure, she didn't judge Matt she just loved him.
I thought the ending was rather poignant & touching but overall I don't think I'd go out of my way to read something else by this author.
on 1 October 2017
This wasn't what I expected from the first few pages. It is a deeply moving, very well written piece of work which moves very well through the subject's life at a pace that enables the reader to understand not only what is going on and what happened but how it is being interpreted by the people who are affected. I don't have experience of mental illness but if gives a very real insight into what it must be like for those suffering from various sorts of it and why people think as they do. I read it in two sittings, and would have finished it one if I hadn't started it so late at night.
on 11 September 2017
This is a story about Matt and his older brother Simon. Simon dies when, as brothers do, they were out playing childish games. The effect on the family is devastating but in the case of Matt it is the beginning of a spiral to madness.
This book is worth reading simply to experience the creative writing used by the author. Cleverly it is Matt who is writing his story and in doing so becomes to understand his own mental illness.
Recommended. To enjoy fully set your Kindle to publishers fonts
on 9 March 2014
My own family has been touched by mental illness, with a sister who experiences schizophrenia, and a father (now deceased) who had severe depression, so this for me was a much read, and a poignant one at that, having recently re-established contact with said sister.

It was for me then a somewhat difficult and challenging read, written as it is from the perspective of the experiencer. I choose to use this word rather than sufferer because of its negative conations. We are introduced to Matt and his brother Simon, who has Downs syndrome at the beginning of the book, on a typical seaside family holiday. The title of the book comes from what happens next when Matt encounters a young girl who is burying her doll - it later turns out this doll is symbolic of the girls mother who has herself recently died. Matt reaches out to comfort the girl and falls, and the story goes on from there. I will not say too much more as it would only act as a spoiler.

The book though focusses very much on the effects that Matt's illness has on him - its symptoms and its causes, most of which only become clear towards the end. This is why I found it as times such uncomfortable reading, but I persevered and am glad that I did.

There is no happy ending for Matt, and he does not get miraculously better, but he does in his own way come to terms with what happened to his brother and the role that he played in this. In the process of doing this he also manages to mend relationships with the rest of his family and help them.

I can see exactly why this book won the Costa Prize and cannot think of a more worthy winner. This for me would also unhesitatingly be 5 stars.
on 8 November 2017
This book is clearly written by a mental health nurse who has studied creative writing rather than someone who is suffering from a psychotic illness. I have a long term and enduring psychotic illness myself and this book really irritated me and much of it was plain boring. The mental health system is far more screwed up than this Nathan Filer is admitting and although there are caring staff within it, many of them are hardened to the job and plain nasty. Nobody can realistically write from the perspective of someone with long term severe mental illness unless they have suffered with it, all this book does for me is bring home further the arrogance of mental health staff who assume they understand what it is like when they don't.
on 24 March 2014
I liked this book very much. I felt so much sympathy for Matt and could almost feel his frustration with the mental health system. What really struck me was the patients being referred to as "Service Users" completely dehumanising them. My mother was in a residential home several years before she died and the carers there were told that the residents should be called "service users" and not residents. I was appalled and had a word with the head of the home and the social service department to ask if they realised that the residents in their care considered the home as their homes and for most it would be the last home they had.
I would certainly recommend this book.
on 12 May 2017
The story was ok but I was never convinced that I was reading the words of someone suffering from a serious mental illness. It was a bit cheesy.
on 30 August 2017
There are no huge moments in this book, even though (having very recently and suddenly lost my wonderful dad) death is huge; and likewise mental health is a matter that is intense and should be taken seriously. Nevertheless ,in this book there is a gentleness and calmness and an acceptance of the human spirit, with its strengths and its faults, that shows together we can stumble on.
on 13 November 2017
Such a disturbing book. I am sure it is never possible to fully understand what it is like to suffer from a particular mental illness but this book for me certainly gave some brutal clues. I read the book as I heard Nathan Filer being interviewed and I realised that only someone who had worked as a mental health nurse and who had done research in the field would be a able to produce a novel about someone with psychiatric problems. Easy to read but definitely not a feel good book!