The Shock of the Fall
Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 October 2017
This wasn't what I expected from the first few pages. It is a deeply moving, very well written piece of work which moves very well through the subject's life at a pace that enables the reader to understand not only what is going on and what happened but how it is being interpreted by the people who are affected. I don't have experience of mental illness but if gives a very real insight into what it must be like for those suffering from various sorts of it and why people think as they do. I read it in two sittings, and would have finished it one if I hadn't started it so late at night.
on 5 March 2014
Firstly a big thank you to Harper Collins for providing me with a review copy of The Shock of the Fall. After reading the synopsis I was drawn in to wanting to read more although apprehensive at the same time at facing the trials of mental illness.

I was not disappointed! The Shock of the Fall was a great read and had me hooked from the first page! It was unlike anything I have read before and I found myself intrigued by Matthews life and on an emotional roller coaster reading what he had gone through with the death of his brother.

The author is a qualified mental health nurse and this shines through in the accuracy of the writing and not once did i doubt the story, in fact a lot of the time it read to me more like a biography than fiction and I had to keep reminding myself it wasn't a true story!

I would definitely recommend The Shock of the Fall. It was a good read that kept you hooked into the story, a definite page turner
on 24 March 2014
I liked this book very much. I felt so much sympathy for Matt and could almost feel his frustration with the mental health system. What really struck me was the patients being referred to as "Service Users" completely dehumanising them. My mother was in a residential home several years before she died and the carers there were told that the residents should be called "service users" and not residents. I was appalled and had a word with the head of the home and the social service department to ask if they realised that the residents in their care considered the home as their homes and for most it would be the last home they had.
I would certainly recommend this book.
on 12 May 2017
The story was ok but I was never convinced that I was reading the words of someone suffering from a serious mental illness. It was a bit cheesy.
on 30 August 2017
There are no huge moments in this book, even though (having very recently and suddenly lost my wonderful dad) death is huge; and likewise mental health is a matter that is intense and should be taken seriously. Nevertheless ,in this book there is a gentleness and calmness and an acceptance of the human spirit, with its strengths and its faults, that shows together we can stumble on.
on 31 October 2017
Excellent book. An emotional read about mental health. It is an easy read, but deep. I am pleased with my purchase and would buy again.
on 14 February 2014
Bought this book as it was the Costa Coffee Book Award winner.
This is an excellent read. So much so that I was sorry when it was finished.
It is well written, in the first person, and is totally absorbing once started.
Made me laugh and cry throughout.
I would definitely recommend this book.
on 30 March 2015
I wasnt fond of the writing style, it reminded me of 'The Incident of the Dog in the Night Time', I found the way that was written was unenjoyable too.
on 31 December 2017
Brilliant portrayal of pain, confusion and broken minds, so real you'll think it's an autobiography.
The blend of font styles and images, voices and times support you through this sad journey.
I had to read it in one sitting.
on 30 August 2017
As above...I put it in the wrong place . I'm literally rubbish at this but it's great. Anyone who has struggled with mental health issues will get this book