Customer reviews

5,115
Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 June 2017
Best book I've ever read! Only 12 and already read it 4 times and keep finding new things in the story. Love the characters, battles and the amount of detail that Tolkien puts into his books. Glad there are no Orcs around today though!
on 18 May 2017
My paperback version, c. 50 years old, was losing pages quickly so, as I like to read this every couple of years, bought the Kindle version.
on 13 September 2017
A memorable BBC radio dramatisation. A superb cast. I remember, while listening to it some years ago, I was impressed because I perceived its consistency with JRR Tolkien masterpiece. In all the media adaptations I know of, I regard this radio drama by BBC really faithful to the spirit of the book, and that's the main point!
on 26 October 2016
a brilliant look into the art work and the talant of these people that bring the films to life and for anyone intrested in drawing
on 2 November 2013
I ordered the book and it took two days to come, which was a nice surprise. I already have 'The Hobbit Chronicles' as I'm a big fan of both, the latter and the LOTR trilogy.

I am an art student and for me the book is a great showcase of the work by Alan Lee. I love the way that all kinds of sketches were included here, so not just persons, elves or orcs, but also hobbit houses, utensils, armour, Mordor, Isengard, treebeard and much more. I don't just love this book because I study drawing and the level of the drawings by Alan Lee are mind blowing, but also because it serves like a visual continuation between the LOTR novel and films.

If you loved the art on the films, you will undoubtedly love this book! You won't regret it!
on 5 April 2014
I have read this book many times in my lifetime and it remains and will always be a very great favourite always finding something new each time I read it. However, some things about it appear to have altered. Did not tales of Arwen feature more prominently in the original. Did not Aragorn himself suffer pain at the claws of the Isengard wolves tumbling from sight over the hills in battle or am I blurring the lines between book and film. If changes have been made they have not all been for the best and I have felt robbed of some of its magic hence the 4 star rating and not 5. I don't suppose I shall read it again but that isn't for the lack of love of it. Merely time.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 March 2017
Intense story full of detailed descriptions of an imaginative world. Deep psychological depiction of characters. True masterpiece. Looking forward to seeing next. I would recommend this book to whoever thought the movies were not entertaining and somewhat boring. I am glad I took the time to actually read the book.
on 25 November 2016
Absolutely beautiful little book.
on 17 December 2012
I readed The Hobbit a long time ago, but in Spanish.
Now, I can experience it in the original English version, and it's even better, specially when talking about the songs.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 28 May 2017
What can I say?, Tolkiens' prequel to the lord of the rings, a masterpiece.