Customer reviews

5,163
Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 April 2017
Brilliant that they changed the language to make it more readable. however I really resent all the story changes put in. It has lost so much compared to the older version I first read 15 years ago.

If they had just changed the language and left the content as was it would be a truly great read. Now it feels like the authors were more worried about bringing the book in line with the films.
on 3 March 2017
Ordered one for my boyfriend as a gift, when it came the cover was all ripped and creased. So I requested another one. The 2nd one came the same. Decided to do it for the last time and finally it came in perfect condition. I think I was being sent old/used versions, as when the 3rd one came it was in wrapping that was not on for the others.

Having said that, the book I (finally) got was beautiful. My boyfriend loves it. I would award it 5 stars if not for all the fuss. Just be aware in case this happens to you, and if you don't want the fuss of having to repackage and send off faulty versions then maybe think twice about ordering.
on 2 October 2014
My daughter wanted this. It is exactly as described and she has read it and moved on to the next book.
on 4 June 2017
The only problem I had with this item was the marks left on the leather case from the shrink wrapping. Other reviews have also mentioned this and the marks on my set are identical to the other pictures. This was only on the outer case however - all of my books are in excellent condition, and to be honest the mark is not massively noticeable.

I really love how the books themselves look and feel with the leather binding. They feel quite sturdy, flexible, and haven't shown wear yet (read once). I believe the only things they are missing are full illustrations and pull out maps, but do contain some illustrations, maps, and appendices. The full text is there. Very good for their size in my opinion.

These are a handy size for travel and I'll be taking them with me soon on several flights. Perhaps the size of the text would be difficult for some - I don't find it difficult to read and have no problems with my eyesight. I've attached a picture of the text with a 10p coin for scale.
review image
on 11 June 2017
The story overall is fantastic and a classic, but there's something about the writing that makes this book a bit hard going at times. I've read a lot of classic literature and normally I would find this sort of book impossible to put down, but in this case there were times where the story seemed to stall for a page or two and I wonder if someone who is not a natural reader might give up. I would agree this is a book to read and definitely gives a different perspective to the movies.
on 8 March 2017
What can be said?......seemed an easier read this time around, as i read this book years ago when younger, i found the style of writing easier to comprehend this time. Immerse yourself in this book and you will be rewarded. Elfs, Ents, Men, Orks, the lot....you have to love it. The world that is created is flawless.....themes and languages included, the poems, the songs, unputdownable. I might read it again one day!
on 8 November 2014
I regularly re read this series. Good to have them on my kindle.
on 6 January 2016
The book is amazing and I'm loving the looks of it without the paper that's wrapped around it.

The pictures in its description can be deceiving though (I'm not implying it's done intentionally of-course). But I'd buy it eitherways. To elaborate, the books' hardback is plain black, there's nothing pictured or written in their hardbacks, except on the spine, where there are golden, excellent quality, gilded letters, the classic Tolkien mark, and the Harper Collins mark. The pictured "minimalistic" drawings on the books, are but (not very) hard paper, wrapped around the books, and it is NOT sewn, meaning that it can be wrapped and removed at will. It kind of gives you a choice, to use the coloured paper around the book, or to keep it just with the plain black, classic-looking, hardback.

The case, is also black, very similar to the hardcover of the books, with golden gilded letters on either sides, and the "picture" of the Fellowship of the Ring that you can see in the item description pictures (the ring, the elf-letters, the 3 rings around it), golden gilded again of-course.

The only negative comment about this boxxed set, is that the paper back that I have spoken off, is not perfectly aligned in two of the books (the spine is a little bit off to the right or left), which messes a lot with my OCDs, but, for other people, it might not even be noticed.

There are some photos following which people can advise to check what the item looks like. On the 2nd photo you can slightly see the alignment issue I've mentioned above.
on 18 April 2017
An excellent story for all ages. The story follows the quest of hobbit Bilbo Baggins to win a share of the treasure guarded by Smaug the dragon. It follows his trials and tribulations of his journey along the way. Highly recommended.
on 5 August 2015