Customer reviews

The Cutting Room
Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 May 2017
I was recommended this a few times and the reviews made me think this was going to be a good read.
I struggled to get through it, it took me 15 days, which is quite long for me on a usual read.
The beginning was too law for me, which may be good for some people but I wanted a crime book not a court room one.
The middle was a bit better, I started to love Daria; her drive and character - I was disappointed in how her story turned out without so much of an afterthought.
The end was rushed, and had holes and what felt like missing chapters and loose ends.

What happened to the snuff club? Was Banting innocent? What happens to CJ? Will the killer be caught?

I was disappointed overall.
on 27 March 2017
Recommend this writer , don't put the book down
on 15 May 2017
A real page turner. Don't read it on your commute. You'll miss your stop! I did twice.
Well written, pacy, and characters you don't want to say goodbye to. Buy it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 August 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
"The Cutting Room" sees the (eventual) return of prosecutor CJ Townsend, and locked up, multiple killer Bill Bantling.

*** spoiler ***

There are a couple of massively signposted "coincidences" and an interesting ending, but, I read a lot of this genre of story and "Silence of the Lambs" meets "Dexter" came to mind as the book came to a conclusion.

*** end of spoiler ***

The story is a little on the disappointing side as it takes more than half the book to really kick it up out of neutral.

If you have read the other two books and want to see the next turn in the life of CJ Townsend and where the series will head next then it is worth wading through the muddy first half to get to the conclusion.

I would point out that in order to understand what's going on it would be a good idea to read the previous 2 books in this series first (Retribution and Last Witness), rather than just diving in and hoping that you get the drift of what's going on and who's linked to whom.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 August 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I haven't read Hoffman before and am not sure that I'd read another book of hers. While this is disturbingly heartfelt on the central crimes of sexual violence against women, I can't help but feel that we are made complicit in some ways with the criminals as we too become voyeurs and get our `entertainment' from these murders.

As well as finding myself increasingly resistant to the story-line, I also don't think this is a particularly well-crafted novel: the banter between characters felt awkward and artificial, and some of the plot points turned on very well-worn devices (for example, the attorney who gets a pointed, threatening message from the criminal she's prosecuting - and ignores it). There are great chunks which have to be filled in through back-story exposition, and then other places where there's a huge gap in the narrative with a lot of big scenes taking place `off-stage' as it were.

So no, I didn't enjoy this on all kinds of levels: Hoffman seems to know her legal stuff, and has some insights into the mental state of victims of sexual violence - but it takes more than that to turn out a good novel.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 September 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is my first novel by Jilliane Hoffman. I didn't read Pretty Little Things, her previous novel, but had no problems getting straight into the plot and following the story. I'd been wondering whether or not to read The Cutting Room because it's hyped up to be much more sordid than it actually is. The mention of SNUFF clubs and torture put me off. I read the other reviews and gave it a go; it's a decent thriller. I've got to be honest and say that the first half of the novel is mostly about setting the scene, introducing the characters and not much happens, takes a while to get going but, when it does, the plot races away and is full of tension. There are so many reviews already on here that outline the plot, I can't add anymore and can only recommend that if you enjoy a solid police procedural/murder mystery, packed with dark themes, believable bad guys and written with a great deal of confidence, you'll love The Cutting Room. There are strong, adult themes and scenes that will make you cringe but it's done well and is never gratuitous. I'm certainly going to read Pretty Little Things next and am looking forward to it.
on 31 December 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a well written fast paced psychological thriller. I would advise new readers that it helps to have read the previous novels in this series as there are references to events from earlier books.

The characters are well written and the book is compelling and hard to put down. This is a classic crime thriller with a good story and easy to read prose that maintains a rapid pace. Recommended.
VINE VOICEon 10 August 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm surprised Ms Hoffman isn't better known in this country because she really is very good at what she does. "The Cutting Room" rattles along at a cracking pace and I couldn't put it down. What I found very unsettling about the whole premise of snuff movies is that one can imagine this happening. It is not a graphic book but, at the same time, manages to chill very well and you can clearly envisage what the victims went through.

You have the unlikely relationship between Manny Alvarez and Daria De Bianchi, both thinking that they're not well suited, and yet suddenly finding that they are in love. You have C.J. Townsend and her history is what cuts to the heart, her brutal rape and how it influences the rest of her life and ruins her marriage. In Bill Bantling, you have evil personified and it all ties together in an engrossing but disturbing read. Disturbing because Ms Hoffman writes so well in a style that, whilst not overly explicit as to the perpetrated violence, plays on your mind!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 July 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have read all of Jilliane Hoffman's books and have never been less than impressed. She has produced two books featuring prosecutor C.J Townsend and two stand alone books. This fifth release is a mixture of the two. We see Assistant State Attorney Daria Bianchi and Detective Manny Alvarez work a case that involves a snuff club. We also see the return of C.J Townsend just before the halfway mark in this book.

Daria and Manny make for fantastic reading as they both have such unique personalities. Manny Alvarez is a veteran cop whose nickname is The Bear and Daria is a hot-headed Italian woman trying to make her mark in the world. They make a great team and at the start of the book we see them clash heads as they uncover what looks to be a dangerous game of men watching women be raped and then murdered in the so called snuff-club.

The re-introduction of C.J and the serial killer on death row Bill Bantling aka `Cupid' had me reading a lot quicker that I thought. As it has been a while since I read the CJ books I worried I would lose the thread but the plot is re-covered for the benefit of those having not read previous books. As I read on I remembered why Jilliane's books always had me hooked. They are extremely dark reading and I always find myself feeling the fear as much as the characters as we see the chase for the suspects who are cursed with these sick and perverted minds.

The story has a lot going on and there are numerous threads that are woven in to the story including past crimes committed and the involvement of Bill Bantling, the serial killer on Death Row. At around the ¾ mark the pace picks up considerably and I continued reading until I was done. I was both shocked and pleased by the time I had finished. Shocked at the outcome of one particular thread in the story and pleased that JH was just as good as I remembered. It was good to have some conclusions in the last part of the CJ trilogy and although this took me longer than usual to get in to, it was no less thrilling than her other books.

I have to say overall that her last stand alone book slightly holds the edge for me but this book was clever and thoughtful making for a gripping read that had me checking my windows at night.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 14 September 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Before I get into the review of this crime fiction novel it is important note that while the author gives background to her significant characters that have appeared previously in other books, I believe to `fully enjoy' this novel, one needs to have read `Retribution' and `Last Witness'. While these books cannot be called a true series, the characters such as CJ Townsend and Bill Bantling, seem to `populate' all three books with their traits, working practice and have their own narrative framed within the text of each story told.

That said I found this a pretty high strung thriller set against a frame work of the sick and depraved world of inflicted suffering and snuff clubs. Some of the main ingredients are very good attention to detail by using some sharp dialogue, well researched legal and forensic practice. The narrative is `crisp' and the relationships forged between the lawyer Daria di Bianchi and detective is well managed and convincing.
In part the story takes one to the edge-of-the-seat. For me the ending was a genuine surprise.