Customer reviews

Singularity (Star Carrier, Book 3)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 November 2012
Having re-acquired a taste for space opera/military SF/whatever via the thoroughly enjoyable "Lost Fleet" series, I thought I'd try this. I'm glad I did. I have read all three books, so this is a verdict on all three as a series. Throughout all, Mr. Douglas shows much sound technological background extended by admirable imagination in the creation of his far-distant future world, where a spacefaring humanity has run up against a much more advanced alien confederation, which seems determined, for reasons unknown, to deny humanity further technological advancement, with the threat of extinction if it doesn't comply. The story is mainly told through two characters, an Admiral commanding a space battle group and one of his fighter pilots, the latter from a despised minority. Both show considerable ability to think "outside the box", and constantly to wrong-foot the technologically superior opposition.

The one fly in the ointment is the end, which comes in a rush at the end of this book and which seems somewhat too trite and pat. It almost seems as if Mr. Douglas's prodigious imagination has finally let him down. Now one can take refuge in alien mindsets, which perceive things very differently from ours, but to me it doesn't quite come off.

However, I still wouldn't let this put off potential readers - overall, the three books make a satisfying whole and a fine journey of the imagination. Since we regretfully will never travel to the stars like this, this is the best we can do.
on 29 January 2013
A fan of pure science fiction, I like this series. This is book three in the saga of an unseen power which has many other races seemingly in it's power and will not allow human beings to develop science and technology any further because this may lead to transcendence. This last book takes you to the heart of their universe and reveals previously hidden secrets.
I like the science bits and there are lots of new ideas in this series. The author explains the science in detail and also describes the battle tactics in detail. I like it when the science is explained and is somehow believeable.
I gave it four stars only because the characters do not quite become as real to me as I would like. Because I read before going to sleep every night, the following night I find I have lost the plot and can't remember all the characters and what is going on. But that is just me!
VINE VOICEon 19 November 2012
This is s good climax to a great series, the ending which I won't tell you about is believeable and not contrived. I got into this after following a few threads from reviews on the Jack Campbell series The Lost Fleet and this is as good, a really enjoyable trilogy well written, absorbing and a good read.

Recommended to all you Sci-Fi space opera fans out there.
on 22 July 2013
This is an enjoyable read that concentrates on action from a space fighter pilot's perspective. The book is a good read but the repetitive explanations of the same technology in several places in the book can be jarring. The read is not totally immersive and some of the attempts to make social comment in the book fall a bit flat.
on 10 February 2013
This book is a supriser, i just bought the first one to get me through the day at the gym and when im bored, but i ended up reading it pretty quick, and bought the rest of them, and they are great the only thing i can say is a fault is that the author repeats information a couple times through-out the books but other that that its great!!
on 10 January 2018
A good follow up to an excellent first novel.
on 18 September 2016
Sci Fi Good fun read
on 12 April 2013
Aliens are wimps! This is a slightly wobbly exit for the series - I think Ian Douglas got sick and shut it down way too sharp. Otherwise its the third and last of the series - needs read.
on 20 February 2013
The series had great promise with a good pace and build-up but seemed to fizzle out at the end. Kind of spoiled what had otherwise been a really enjoyable read to that point.
on 7 June 2013
This series was enjoyable to read, but falls over by the continuous repeating of how the technologies work, by book 3 the reader has a grasp of workings of the ships.