1,073
Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 March 2017
It's going to be hard to review this as it is part 1 of 2, and as it is spilt out into 2 books, it's easy to forget that.

I have mixed emotions about this book. But generally, I think there are more positives than negatives.

George RR Martin does a very good job of the world building, and I have to say I sometimes believe that what I am reading really happened. The main characters have their own personality and these have changed with the events that have happened over the previous books. I do like how all of the characters (except Joffrey and Cersi etc) are very different to the ones we met in the first book.

However, A LOT of this book was uneventful, and I feel that not much has happened over nearly 600 pages. Most chapters were people walking to wherever they're going and just talking and then they'd be diverted and then keep talking, and nothing really happened.

My favourite storyline in this is Danerys' by far. It's interesting, fast paced and exciting. My least favourite has to be Sansa's. God she irritates me so much! Yeah, I feel sorry for you but I call it karma for all the whining we got at the beginning. And again, nothing much really happened. I can only think of one thing significantly added to the story.

Like I said at the beginning, this is half of the story, so I am praying that the crescendo isn't too far away. The last 2 chapters were about Bran and Jon, and were 2 of the best in the book, so it has made me want to pick up part 2 almost straight away. I just hope that it is more eventful and interesting as part 1.

3 stars - Not bad, but not great by a long shot.
on 15 May 2017
OK, so I'm gonna read them all, but I have to say this one wasn't a patch on the two before it. It needed to be cut by at least half. Far too much filling narrative that simply isn't necessary, which is a shame, because the dialogue is as sharp as ever, and Jamie's chapters make him an enjoyable character to read. Still rooting for Tyrion, but please can there be less mention of banners and families and let's just get on with the action.
An Angel's Alternative
Cold Steel on the Rocks
We Are Cold Steel
on 17 August 2013
If you have started at the first book in this series, you will now, like me, be a hopeless addict dreading the day when the saga ends. This book makes so many other books seem feeble by comparison. It is a book to get lost in with realistic characters who you either like or hate or (as in real life) never know if you can trust. Everyone will have their favourite character whom they hope will survive and although there are a great many characters, (which for me, means I'll forget them if I don't meet them for a while) they are so vividly painted that you do remember them and loathe Joffrey, the nasty boy king and hope Tyrion find happiness and admire Arya who, at 10, has more resourcefulness than many adults. This is a cross gender book with lots of action as well but for me it's the people I will remember and the amazing picture of a land that is easy to imagine and different cultures that interact (or don't).

As with all the other books in the series this one has a helpful section listing the characters and their relationship to each other and a (slightly difficult to read) map of the land. It is set up so that a right or left click on the navigator button on your Kindle will take you forward or back a chapter so that you can remind yourself where you last left a character
on 7 December 2013
It's hardly fair to review this book since it's really only the first half of A Storm of Swords. It makes no attempt to reach a conclusion and I immediately went on to read the second half.

Having watched the excellent Season Three of the HBO TV serries (much enjoyed) I'm now trying to read ahead before the next season. Obviously there are differences, notably Gendry's TV character having been substituted for Edric Storm.

All I can say is that I'm enjoying it so far and look forward to reading the rest of it.
on 16 June 2013
Having read some of the reviews before purchasing this second book I was concerned that there would be too many battles for me. However, the descriptive passages are so well written that I found it easy to follow and if fact gripping. My only concern is keeping track of who is who and which house they support, luckily I can look this up if I really want to
on 20 May 2017
Love this series of books. Great author.
on 12 April 2017
Love this world! Very entertaining!
review image
on 19 May 2017
Fantastic book
on 15 June 2017
Magical
on 10 November 2015
How can such long books say so little sometimes. The audiobook is as slow as the action. Loved it.