Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 May 2013
The last three of these were good action, nice pacing and interesting ideas. This carries on in that direction; in fact there's a bit more action but character development is somewhat reduced as a result. The larger story arc is pushed forward but not as much as I'd like. If I was going to give one criticism, it does feel like some of the plot is being a bit recycled. Although it could be viewed as a natural progression but the new character introduced seems like a bit of a clone of a previous one (sorry for being cryptic I'm trying not to give any of the story away)
on 28 May 2013
Too much repetition
If you haven't read the previous novels too bad.
Don't bore me with the same details.
Otherwise could have been great!
on 20 May 2013
How long will Mr. Douglas keep this series going? Until humanity reaches the God-like singularity state? Clearly there's more to come.

This continues the tale of the previous three "Star Carrier" books, with both of the main characters of the previous books elevated to higher positions, and now again with a threat from the races defeated (not terribly convincingly) in the third book. Again, good ol' humanity manages to come up with ideas that beat the technologically much superior aliens, even as the uneasy Confederation governing Earth (or most of it) falls apart.

One thing Mr. Douglas does do well is come up with interesting aliens, with very different physiologies and ways of thinking and envisaging things. This time, the confrontation between earthlings and aliens is more convincingly handled.

In general, hardly great literature, but a fun read, and I look forward to further instalments.
on 28 August 2013
I think I hope that there won't be any more.
The series was OK, if a bit repetitive. I liked some of the ideas, especially the attempt to describe alien culture and way of thinking.
on 5 February 2015
Not a bad series of books, but the author keeps repeating himself again and again and again. I wonder if he even realises he is doing it. Kind of ruined the books for me all the constant re-hashing of stuff you've read over and over throughout the books.
on 19 November 2014
I started off enjoying this series, but with each new book, there were too many rehashes and descriptive texts of concepts etc, defeating the continuity of the story
on 22 May 2013
Well, by now, you're a bit of an Ian Douglas enthusiast, and it's fair to say he's continued the work magnificently. All the old friends are there and we see whiffs and hints of more interest in the characters. It's a fine read, I'm glad to recommend it and I'll certainly be keeping an eye open for anything new from Ian. This story is great either under a dull lamp in a bitter winter at 1am, or in the blazing sunshine next to a beach. (Yes, out of scientific investigation both were tried). It's a good read whatever your circumstances. I truly recommend this and all of Mr Douglas' work.
on 18 March 2014
Great book, but takes a bit of getting into. You need to read the series in order to really make sense of it. Having said that it is a gripping read that is difficult at times to put down. I am thoroughly enjoying the series, and find myself looking for the next book as I come towards the end of the book I am reading.
on 3 October 2013
Loved the previous books in the series but this one I'm struggling to get into story doe not seem right, compared ton the previous ones.
on 24 February 2015
book 4 in the series, and a suitable pick up of the story 20 years on from the first 3