on 7 April 2014
My wife and I have many bibles from difference genres, but the ESV has been a good resource. A good embrace of the effects of many of more recent archeological discoveries and understandings from original manuscripts.

Bibles are quite personal items and need to be read through a Hebraic mindset, rather than a Greek or Hellenistic mindset; so while understanding is important, we do need to understand the culture and sense of what the characters were seeking to convey. The ESV seeks to do this without too much heavy theology.

I personally now prefer my NLT Chronological Life Application Bible because it has so much useful additional detail contained within. I tolerate the fact that the books are no longer all in the traditional order that I grew up with and need to refer to the index on occasion.

The ESV is also great to get on your smartphone!
on 24 January 2015
The most accurate literal translation of the original books of Scripture available in English. Very easy to find chapter and verse from index at front of ebook. Adding notes allow me to personalise, edit as I learn more and make connections between books etc. I have tried every translation over the years ad this is the best literal one while still allowing easy readability. It can make a real difference to understanding a verse when you can read what God intended.
on 4 December 2015
An excellent translation (though I'm no theologian). The Gospels (that's all I've read so far) are very readable and contain some material I've never seen in the King James version. One thing to watch out for: the text is peppered with links to footnotes etc., and it's all too easy to hit one of them inadvertently when you meant to go forward or back a page - with the result that suddenly you're lost and have to go to the Contents to recover where you were . . .
on 30 June 2016
This is a good 'word for word' translation. I have a large selection of different translations some 'thought for thought' and it is useful to be able to check them all against each other in areas of ambiguity. The ESV is very readable. It is a soft back edition but a handy size for travelling although the print is a tad small.
on 7 October 2014
As always one that goes to church now and then from a child. I have sung in the church choir but never read the Bible from start to finish. This is and was really interesting reading. Very long and most quite heavy, nevertheless interesting. It has made me think on too many levels and one being how are we Christian and not Jewish when Jesus is Jewish. It doesn't explain how we became Christian, when right at the beginning it says God will kill those who worship another God or do pictures models of what they think God is?????
on 8 April 2017
Very good translation. Conservative, evangelical, easy to read. Good solid binding. Ideal to give out at a relatively low cost.
on 12 February 2017
Brilliant. Only reservation is that I didn't get the interleaved version, as I bought two for my friend and the amount of space to make notes is incredible. If this version was 2 cm longer in order to fit more notes then this would be a 6 star rating. But as it stands I can only give 5.
on 4 April 2013
This translation is very much in the tradition of the RSV / NRSV. It is better, in my view, than the RSV in that the language has been brought fully into standard modern English (not noticeably americanised or anglicised) but avoids the political correctness of the NRSV which irritatingly renders, for example, "Brothers" as "Brothers and Sisters" or "Friends". So, a good modern translation, suitable both for private study and public reading, with thorough footnotes pointing to some of the complexities in the original text.
This is a good kindle implementation. Highly recommended
on 3 April 2014
I am so pleased with this version of the bible, I was fed up with going to churches without wifi and not being able to access my app. This is why I downloaded this book, I am pleased with the modern version and its so easy to use with clickable hyperlinks in the contents. The only way it could be improved is if maybe there were clickable links to different books of the bible more often rather than having to go back to the contents page. Also some where to take notes would be use full.
on 7 February 2017
Unlike some Kindle bibles this is easy to navigate and also to look up related verses. The only query is getting back to the original verse - there seems no alternative to using the Kindle back arrow which can be a multistage process.