on 25 November 2016
Alexander has compiled a life’s work into a collection of hilarious, amusing, eye-opening and sometimes tragic stories. From the beginning of his career as a young male nurse on a gyneacological ward to an interesting stint on a mental health unit, he tells the truth about nursing. This book wasn’t just a good read, but it has changed the way I view nursing. It also outlines the differences between nursing in the UK and nursing in New Zealand.
Whatever your reasons for reading this book it will entertain you and keep you hooked from the start and it will, most certainly, make you laugh out loud.
on 3 March 2018
This book provides an insight from a nurses perspective of many areas that hospital nursing covers. Told in a light hearted but nevertheless respectful way, the work, patients and colleagues come to life. The book is very interesting, one of those which I certainly did not want to put down.
|0Comment|Report abuse
I bought and read this book out of curiosity really.
I am a (male) nurse myself and in honesty, I hate that term - I am a nurse....!
Everything in this book the author describes, IS as it really happens....!
He truthfully describes the ups and downs of nursing, from the male perspective.
I urge you to read this book, you will laugh, you may cry, but hopefully you will see what we have to deal with.
Enjoy...!
on 14 May 2014
This is the second of the "Confessions" books I have read recently and I do worry about the way patients are treated in hospitals by nurses who are overworked and have too many patients to look after. It highlights all that is wrong with the NHS and the problems in our hospitals presently in the news.

On the otherhand the male nurse in question would be a tonic for any ward he is placed in with his caring nature and ability to also spot any faults and that's another thing this book brings to the fore, quite frightening really.

Thoroughly enjoyable read and would advise anyone interested in this subject to download, easy, funny, sad, do give it a try.
on 7 April 2017
*3.5 Stars*

I love the 'confessions' books!

This was a revealing insight into the world of nursing - some interesting accounts from Michael Alexander about his time in UK & New Zealand hospital's. Some of the stories are tragic, other's uplifting. A fun and insightful book.
on 31 August 2014
Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, this book touches on events often found in nursing. It is thoughtful without being too sloppy, and its obvious Mr Alexander genuinely cares for his patients, he's always on the right side of Patient Confidentiality. But I must admit that I was expecting the more funnier side of health care, in and out of the NHS. It is well written and shows that nursing is a true vocation, and not just a career choice.
on 30 November 2014
"I no longer believe any medical story I read" are the authors own words in his aptly entitled chapter "don't believe all you read"

Anyone reading this should certainly take this advice!

I have rated this 4 stars based upon the fact I did enjoy the story and as a male nurse myself I could easily relate to the narrative.

However, I don't think its entirely appropriate for a nurse of any country to openly embellish their story just to add gravitas and drama - never in my 30 years experience in London hospitals have I ever come across staffing levels or patient neglect to the level described.

It is an interesting read and in spite of my comments I would recommend the book. It is a dramatised truth much like any tv hospital drama.
on 8 December 2013
I bought this book for my friend as we are both male nurses, and our own experience in a gynecology ward was equally as amusing. Sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry, stand your ground or run away. In a medical area completely dominated by female nurses, this book written by an Australian male nurse really captivates what this nursing area is like, whilst always adding humour with every turn of the page.
on 19 March 2013
A very good book about a new zealander nurse who has worked in many departments of hospitals in NZ and Britain and ends up settling down in Switzerland. You see funny, tragic, shocking, upsetting and glorious moments about being a nurse. You see the good and bad bits of private healthcare and NHS care. Highly recommended for people working in the medical profession, who want to be a nurse or just those who want to nosy into the life of a nurse. Very enjoyable!
on 5 October 2013
This book is funny but also has its serious moments. Certainly opened my eyes to how things work in the NHS and what my GP has to put up and all the different training he has done. Also gives you a better understanding of certain illnesses, good and bad. Well worth the read. Has his funny moments too. I look at people differently in the waiting room now lol, wondering......