on 21 August 2015
Like many others I bought this book as I like Fern Britton. What I can conclude is that had this book not been written by someone famous it probably wouldn't have been published. The story line and the characters held no depth. The characters were annoying and I could not relate or warm to anyone in the story. I persevered to the end hoping it would get better but it just didn't. Sorry Fern, please stick to what you're good at!
on 11 August 2015
The first chapter caught my interest , decrepit old house ? Ghosts etc. However, this has little to do with the rest of the book.

It is a story of a family and rivalries between two sisters, but it is all bland. Nothing new about this rivalry, nothing special about the secrets.

I found it tedious and only finished it as I was waiting , in vain, for something dramatic to happen.
on 23 June 2014
Having just finished a rather heavy book [not in weight you understand but in content], I wanted a light read and I found just that in this book. I have never read any of the books by so called celebrities as they all seem to be turning to writing these days and being in the media, or acting professions they do have quite a gift with words but I also feel that some struggling writers out there without a well known name will not find it so easy to get published as these well-knowns do.

Anyhow, Fern writes like she is - easy to get on with, but with some hidden anxt [like most of us I guess], and with a flair for the ridiculous and humorous. I would recommend as a book to read on holiday, that is easy to put down and pick up again and not forget where you got to but not one I had to read immediately right to the end.
on 10 May 2014
I was quite critical of Fern's previous novel so was a bit unsure about reading this when a friend gave me a copy. I am glad I did because The Holiday Home is much better written with more rounded characters and a storyline which kept my attention. I love the way Fern writes about Cornwall and it is clear that the place has a special place in her heart.
The story centres round the Carew family and the lifelong sibling rivalry between 2 sisters. As often happens, things come to a head when they all congregate for their annual summer holidays in the family house. Long kept secrets come tumbling out and life will never be the same for anyone in the family.
If you are looking for a book to read while relaxing on a lounger with a glass of something cold at your side, this is for you.
on 1 July 2013
Great book couldn't put it down I bought it to read while on holiday in cornwall where we go every year .this book makes you feel you are there in the house overlooking the Atlantic ocean .but the core of the book is about the family and all the surprises that are in store for them .well written .
on 15 August 2017
This is the first of Fern Brittons books that I've read but it will most definitely not be the last!

The Holiday Home was such a good story which, as it unfolded, had some unexpected twists and turns...........and we all know a Plumber like Merlin!!
on 22 April 2014
I really enjoyed this book.

Pru and Constance are sisters - but they are both very different. Pru is a business women who gets what she wants. She is married to Francis and treats him like a general dogs body. Constance is married to Greg and they have a lovely daughter. Every year they go to the holiday home as a family but this year all the tension gets too much.

I don't want to say too much more as it will ruin the story but all I can say is please read it. This is set in Cornwall is Fern really sets the scene.
on 8 September 2013
I was a little surprised with this novel. To begin with I thought it was going to be the usual predictable holiday in Cornwall story which following a few heavy reads I was more than ready for. However the story of two warring sisters and their very different husbands kept me intrigued. There are many unpredictable page turners (as well as the predictable) and I don't want to spoil the story for those ready to indulge so instead I will say the authors portrayal of a seemingly normal family as, in fact, the dysfunctional family we all recognise, is realistic, funny, dramatic and scaringly accurate in parts!
on 18 May 2013
Each of Fern's books have been different, this one not only has humour, but also a lot of suspense as well. I genuinely did not want to put this book down, until i had finished reading it,a real page turner. This book truly deserves it's place in the Sunday Times best seller's list, quite some feat as it was only published a week ago.Fern has a way of writing that makes you feel that she is actually reading the story to the reader. I hope she is proud of this book,as she really should be, i hope that her publishers will ask her to write more books, for us to enjoy, i am now looking forward to her next book, due out next year.
on 22 February 2014
I must admit that this book took me by surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. I realised where the plot was going but it didn't spoil my reading at all. I struggled to put the book down and the chapters flow easily from one to another. Well worth a look. My only criticism is that the last few chapters felt rushed. I felt that this book maybe needed a sequel to complete it but we'll have to wait and see. Will definitely be looking for more from this author.