on 3 June 2017
Swift delivery. Item as described.
on 31 May 2017
I feel better for reading this - the writing is charming, heart-felt, sincere, and makes me want to try harder at mindfulness and meditation. Recommended for Managers and Leaders.
on 16 March 2016
This book explains how simple and easy to do, mindfulness really is.

One tip:

I offer two ways to experience a taste of Mindfulness, the "Easy Way", and the "Easier Way". The creatively-named "Easy Way" is to simply bring gentle and consistent attention to one's breath for two minutes. That's it. Start by becoming aware that you are breathing, and then paying attention to the process of breathing. Every time your attention wanders away, just bring it back very gently.

The "Easier Way" is, as its name may subtly suggest, even easier. All you have to do is to sit without agenda for two minutes. Life really cannot get much simpler than that. The idea here is to shift from "doing" to "being", whatever that means to you, for just two minutes. Just be.

Another tip:

Imagine whenever you meet anybody, your habitual, instinctive first thought is, I wish for this person to be happy. Having such habits changes everything at work, because this sincere goodwill is picked up unconsciously by others, and you create the type of trust that leads to highly productive collaborations. Such habits can be volitionally trained.

Its simple advice like that, plus lots more which makes me like this book enough to offer a review.

The authors sense of humour is quite nice, although some people find it a little off-putting.
on 22 August 2013
This book brings you a fantastic and well researched concept that with the power of google behind it really could change the world. That being said, although a light read, I actually found it a little heavy going to complete. As a complete newcomer to the techniques presented, I found the early focus on meditative practices hard work and wondered why I was reading a book on meditation, and only really kept going because of a personal desire to understand more about google's EI training programme. Also jumping from written meditation practice to actual meditation is a big step. I would have benefitted from links within the kindle version to audio tracks of the meditations presented, which would have assisted me greatly. I also struggled to find these online, even on the SIY website. Having said all that, it has opened my mind to what can be achieved by calming the mind and bringing a new, clearer focus to my motivation and direction in life. I have found myself connecting with people more often, and in a more relaxed, open and meaningful way as a result.
on 18 October 2015
I didn't make it through this book. It's basically an advocacy for meditation and the newfangled mindfulness approach. A googler spoke very highly about this book, which is also written a googler, so I checked it out. The author is one of those unfortunate early google joiners burdened with wealth, a great job, free lunches, living on the West Coast, and specializing in meeting celebrities. I don't relate to having these kinds of issues and can't see the advice leading to the same stellar success as the author because the odds of being so blessed are remote in the first place. Ultimately, I find the book advocating a rather self-focussed existence. There are plenty of references to "science" early on in the book, but the data presented is either weak or tangentially relevant (does being able to read micro-expressions mean you are happy? doesn't it just mean you're good at reading micro-expressions). To get the most out of this book, you probably need to be sympathetic to the subject matter already.
on 7 December 2013
A very clear, evidence based guide to mindfulness-based emotional intelligence.
It takes the mystery out of mindfulness.
Each time I read the book I discover something new.
on 28 January 2013
Combining business wisdom and mindfulness techniques from around the world, this book inspires you to be a better person and pursue a deliberate course of happiness. Not bad, eh? :)
on 28 July 2014
I found the book easy to read with humour and the content has been helpful in times of stress. It reminds me that others think that what they do, they do it in the belief that what they do is right. I found that I naturally have compassion and Once I have mastered meditation, I'm pretty sure I will be better equipped to help others. I have recommended it to friends.
on 26 March 2013
A nice easy read linking emotional intelligence with mindfulness and how great knowledge organisations like Google are leading the way in mind development and how it can impact on the business bottom line.
on 5 January 2014
I think Chade has managed to coalesce into a single and "easy" book the teachings and best practices of many important teachers and authors who have been working out the subject of mindfulness over the last four decades (Kabat Zinn, Allan Wallace, just to mention a couple) . Chade's merit is to have come up with a very practical and effective work explaining all the steps taking a person with no previous knowledge and experience of this subject to a full awareness of what mindfulness means and the benefits deriving from meditation, concentrating the explanations on the applicable effects to daily life. I would have wanted to give it six stars!