Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 February 2014
One might imagine that Codeword puzzles ought to become more difficult, as the solver acquires experience.
The Times Codeword 1 (or original) was faithful in standard to the original Codewords published in the Times newspapers and provided quite hard codewords. Volumes 2 and 3 were of much the same standard. All are divided into sections of 'Easy', 'Moderate' and 'Hard'.
However, volume 4, while retaining the same three divisions of Easy, Moderate and Hard, seems to me to be far too easy. To take a concrete example, the Easy codewords provide FOUR starting letters, instead of the customary three or fewer.

So we have the bizarre situation where newcomers to Codewords should start at Volume 4, then work backwards to Volume 1 as they acquire superior solving skills.
on 14 January 2013
Why does no-one produce a codeword book that's even slightly difficult. The Times books are divided into easy, moderate, difficult. The easy & moderate could easily be completed by a bright child, even the difficult ones are patronisingly easy. I'm no brainbox but I don't even bother with the easy and moderate because they aren't worth bothering with and the difficult ones take no time at all; my longest time was 16 minutes. The most problematic codeword that I know of is in the Radio Times and even that never beats me for long. There are fiendishly difficult Sudoku books available - please somebody do something similar with words! How about codewords with NO clue letters given? At least that would give a modicum of difficulty to make it worth the effort. As far as it goes this book is no worse than many others on the market and slightly better than most, but if you really like word problems the only problem you'll have with this collection is that it's over too quickly.
on 2 August 2013
I like code word puzzles as a change from crosswords. This small sized book is perfect for taking on planes, trains, etc as you have something to tax your mind without taking up too much space in your hand luggage. My only other comment is that it's best to use a pencil - easier to erase your mistakes!
on 18 December 2012
it was easy so i liked it, but maybe they could of made it more challenging. Can't wait for Book 5 in july !
on 8 April 2013
excellent service good book to challenge the mind would recommend to anyone who needs a brain challenge. I already have this one and meant to order number 3 but never mind.
on 17 May 2013
A really great selection...ranging from easy to hard. If you like codewords then this is the book for you. Keeps the brain ticking over.
on 26 June 2013
The three levels of codeword (difficult, moderate and easy) make this a very good buy and an enjoyable challenge for the family
on 6 May 2013
I have always been a great fan of Code Word. If I want to relax, I pick up my Times Code Word book and work my brain cells!
on 23 August 2013
As with a previous codewords book I bought this for my wife who loves doing them and who tells me this is a very good book
on 24 July 2013
Given as a present to someone who is an adict. book was well received so it must have been ok