Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 May 2017
The Great Divorce is one of Lewis' most humorous and beautifully written works. I wasn't quite sure where the story was going and trusted it would all come together in the end. It certainly did and may be one of the best endings to any book I have read. Lucid descriptions of very difficult ideas are found throughout and the overall message behind the story is very compelling. I think it is a book you should follow with some serious contemplation.
on 24 April 2017
Brilliant book - classic Lewis. Helpfully pictures realities and concepts that can be otherwise hard to get your head round. Of course, he now knows much better what it's truly like ...
on 8 April 2017
Wonderful book, about Heaven and Hell not marriage, and wonderful delivery service.
on 9 August 2017
Son really liked tis "great"
on 1 June 2017
This book has been an inspiration to me all my life
on 1 May 2017
Was fine. Not perfect yet just fine to take on vacation.
on 28 April 2017
A CLASSIC OF HEAVEN
on 11 August 2015
Good
on 11 March 2014
Just like the brilliant Screwtape Letters it leaves few stones unturned. It will make you examine your motives & your life yet you will be gripped by Lewis's genius storytelling.
on 25 March 1999
"The Great Divorce" was a wonderful read. I have read 18 of his works (all I recommend) And I recommend this one to anyone who likes to keep their imaginations fresh and young.
It is fantasy in the way that only Lewis can conjure it. Full of insightful analogy and beautiful, flowing metaphor. The imagery he uses brings to vivid life the hidden thoughts and suspicions we all have about ourselves and the workings of the inner man.
All of Lewis' works of fiction, particularly this one carry-at least for me-that movement of mind toward those things that we see as "through a glass darkly". The process of taking the mind there invokes awe and wonder at the limitlessness of God. Not just God's ways but the infinite and out of timeness of God as a personal entity. I brings me to that place of childlike wonderment, and just when you think it gets no better, or deeper, he reveals better and deeper still till it extends beyond the edge of comprehension of our frail human intellect -and can only be embraced by the heart.