Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 January 2003
I first encountered this book during my college years, and at the time I thought that this was the most mind-expanding book that I had ever encountered. Picking it back up all these years later, I still feel the same way!
In this book, the incomparable C.S. Lewis takes the reader on a phantasmagoric journey from Hell to Heaven. There are no lakes of fire here or angels sitting on clouds strumming harps. Instead, the damned, who inhabit a lonely Hell of isolation of the mind, are permitted to journey to Heaven, where they can freely renounce their sinful natures and enjoy an eternity of salvation. But, as the narrator discovers, for all too many, their sinful thought forms (no matter how petty) are much more precious to them than all of the rewards of Heaven.
This book opens the reader’s mind to more powerful ways of thinking about sin and about salvation. It certainly made me look at myself and the people around me with new eye. I highly recommend this book to Christians of every denomination and creed.
0Comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 May 2017
The Great Divorce is one of Lewis' most humorous and beautifully written works. I wasn't quite sure where the story was going and trusted it would all come together in the end. It certainly did and may be one of the best endings to any book I have read. Lucid descriptions of very difficult ideas are found throughout and the overall message behind the story is very compelling. I think it is a book you should follow with some serious contemplation.
on 24 April 2017
Brilliant book - classic Lewis. Helpfully pictures realities and concepts that can be otherwise hard to get your head round. Of course, he now knows much better what it's truly like ...
on 8 April 2017
Wonderful book, about Heaven and Hell not marriage, and wonderful delivery service.
on 1 June 2017
This book has been an inspiration to me all my life
on 1 May 2017
Was fine. Not perfect yet just fine to take on vacation.
on 28 April 2017
A CLASSIC OF HEAVEN
on 11 August 2015
Good
on 11 March 2014
Just like the brilliant Screwtape Letters it leaves few stones unturned. It will make you examine your motives & your life yet you will be gripped by Lewis's genius storytelling.
on 24 February 1998
C.S. Lewis himself says in his preface, "The last thing I wish is to arouse factual curiosity about the details of the after-world." This book kept me wondering just what he WAS trying to say--whether he thought there were choices after death, or whether he was just trying to get us to think about life and the terrible seriousness but potentially glorious finality of our choices. If you are the kind of person who believes common 90s philosophies like, "That's YOUR reality but not mine," you should let Lewis tell you a little story. Aside from being very entertaining, it cuts right through a lot of "intellectual" nonsense, and makes you really THINK, maybe for the first time "outside the box" you didn't know you were in.

In the end, I believe he makes it clear that there are no choices after death. His characters are simply acting out the choices we make within the boundaries of time here on earth, with the element of time removed from the story as it plays out in "heaven" and "hell." While you are caught up in the story, you will be in another whole "world" of Lewis's creation, and will be surprised to find yourself back on earth at the end--but you'll now see it (for a while at least) through different eyes. Reality is absolute, and what is seen is the least real of all.